Impalas.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My first post. A great forum with a tremendous amount of helpful info!
I cant load photos and I cant PM.... so this is my question below.

My wife found and bought a 67 impala convertible, 327, powerglide that had an older restoration. It has air shocks in the rear and 9" rally wheels with 255/50ZR17 tires. I noticed the passenger side tire was set further into the wheel well than the driver side. I put the car up on the blocks and could see that the passenger side tire was rubbing on the frame. The panhard rod has a bend in it. You could also see that the swing arms were canted to the driver side. The whole axle is set 1" too much to the driver side.

The questions: The panhard rod should be straight correct?
If yes, can I remove the current one and straighten it or do I need to replace it?
What would you recommend as a replacement?
The bushings look pretty much ok but have been skewed to the driver side, with the rod bushing showing the most wear.

Thank you all,
Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
your wife found and bought it for you? she must be a keeper!

another '67 convertible (y)
tell us about it and where you found it, Bob
She didn't find it for me, she found it for her! I'm just the mechanic.... But sometimes I'm "driving miss Daisy" too. It's a southern car. The first photos are the panhard and then the car.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Vehicle Wheel Tire Crankset Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tread Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Office ruler Gear Automotive wheel system
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Also, yeah it has definitely shifted.

You may want to bring it to a good old fashion Alignment Shop for their opinion on it. Also, that looks like a pretty good bend on the Panhard Bar. If they are supposed to have a bend as mentioned above, I can never remember a bend like that. And I've taken out many rears through the years both 10 and 12 Bolt.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I believe I'm seeing a Bench Seat, also the Impala Letters on the rear quarter. An SS would have it on the side of the front fender. If it is an Impala, someone took off all the side moldings.

Really like the Front Running Light option.

Reactions: BigDogSS

·
Premium Member
1965 Impala SS 396 Convertible
63 Posts
Welcome! Did I read right about 9" wide rims in the back? Not surprised with the occ. tire rubbing, even w/o the shift that seems to be present. I have 8" on my '65 and they are snug! Thinking about dropping to 7" so I don't worry so much, Or I could just get cheaper tires! :)
Nice cruiser! Love the yellow color. Now you just need a set of trim rings on those cool rally wheels, unless you like 'em "au naturel". BTW Anybody know if those wheels were available from the factory in '65-67 on Impalas?
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I think I have a couple of hotchkis pieces... Have also found Global West to have a quality product.

Look for something "double adjustable" as it is sometimes called. Basically a turnbuckle you can adjust while it's still installed. Otherwise, you make a change, unbolt and re-bolt the whole thing. It's worth paying a little extra for not taking it apart every time.

Also, somewhere in my build thread I had to deal with interference between a straight aftermarket panhard bar and a finned aluminum rear end cover...

·
Registered
329 Posts
is yours an SS , Bob? I see the radio antenna mounted on he right front fender so I don't think so but you got a lot of the other nice upgrades, but that may have been done during the previous "restoration"
I'm not sure what the radio antenna mounted on the right front fender has to do with the car being an SS or not.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Now you just need a set of trim rings on those cool rally wheels, unless you like 'em "au naturel". BTW Anybody know if those wheels were available from the factory in '65-67 on Impalas?
Those wheels look to be aftermarket 17" wheels. Chevrolet started installation of rally wheels in 1967. They came with the power disc brake option RPO J52 only, available on any full-sized Chevrolet. These rally wheels were 15" x 5" or optional 15" x 6".

·
Registered
329 Posts
No, the antenna does not position does not indicate if it is an SS. The manual rear antenna (RPO U37 --> 125,134 installed) could be ordered on ANY 1967 full-size Chevrolet, except station-wagon or with AM/FM radio. The rear antenna was not standard on the Impala SS. In fact, any radio was OPTIONAL on the Impala SS. No radio, no antenna.
I own or have owned 3 1967 Impala SS's, and ALL of them have the antenna on the passenger fender.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts