Impalas.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am new to this forum. I have a 67 impala convertible 283. Original owner, original equipment. Getting ready to pass it to 3rd generation. Looking for a few parts. Rear-view mirror & bracket, the day night lever has been busted for 25 years and the visors are starting to fall down over 20MPH. Any tips on fixing are welcome. Also the oil filter canister is dripping, not sure if I can fix it or if I should replace it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The Mirror Bracket is most likely Convertible only and will a little hard to find.

The Oil Filter Canister is no problem. Just try tightening it, but don't over tighten, although it would be best just to change the Gasket and Filter too while you are at it. Use an Ice Pick or something similar to get the old Ring type Gasket out. Lubricate the new one and carefully push it up in place before re-installing the Canister. It's spring loaded and once you start to tighten it, push up on it and let it touch the Gasket while you complete tightening it. This way it won't spin while re-installing it.

Reactions: BigDogSS

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey, I am new to this forum. I have a 67 impala convertible 283. Original owner, original equipment. Getting ready to pass it to 3rd generation. Looking for a few parts. Rear-view mirror & bracket, the day night lever has been busted for 25 years and the visors are starting to fall down over 20MPH. Any tips on fixing are welcome. Also the oil filter canister is dripping, not sure if I can fix it or if I should replace it.
welcome 67-vert brother! how long have you had yours?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Order a catalogs from CARS, Inc --> Classic Chevy Restoration Parts. They carry replacement rear view mirrors. Sunvisor falling -->you need a set of the sunvisor tip bushings, CARS, Inc also has these.

·
Super Moderator
3,485 Posts
On my 66, the windshield rear-view mirror is actually 2 parts. The base is 1 piece, and the mirror has a screw used to attach it to the 'stem' part of that base.
I bought a new mirror-only and it went right into place. There's a good chance yours is the same. Any parts house probably resells those, I don't recall which one I used.

Year One
Late Great Chevys
Luttys
Harmons
C.A.R.S
and a few others I can't recall right now.

The falling visor is a problem for sure. The rubber tips mentioned above are a must-have and they are cheap. I'd advise buying an extra set.
Another item on the visor is that the screw on the bracket-end can work loose just enough that the visor vibrates into the down position, despite being inserted to it's holder by the rear view mirror.

Check that screw on the bracket end, it's a large philips head. I have ended up using Loctite on mine. :-O

On the oil-filter canister a lot of folks have just eliminated it with a replacement adapter kit so that you can buy a standard oil filter and just screw it on.
I think that's the best route and it's easy to do, from here it's hard to say if your canister just isn't tight enough, or the rubber seal at the top is perhaps not in position or worn out, or you might even have 2 up there because folks sometimes forget to remove the old one,.........or worst case, your canister has a bad weld at the nut on the bottom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts