Impalas.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 67 Impala 2d SS was converted to a Powerglide and I have the rebuilt OEM Muncie 4sp ... Would love to hear pros/cons of converting back, as well as which Hurst Shifter I should use if anyone has any thoughts? I really appreciate it!

Thanks - Matt

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
You will like it a lot more, lol.

If you are using the original 4-Speed Console, you should be able to get the right application numbers from Hurst or a vendor that carries Hurst.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Here's some info from a previous post:

Parts are readily available for a stock 'installation' and no mods to drive shaft, tunnel, etc are required.

I have a Hurst Competition plus shifter on my '63. The installation kit for the specific car provides the necessary transmission shifter rods/attachments.

That shifter comes with a rectangular (not 'round') Hurst shift handle. It may (emphasis on may) not be suitable for the console; something to check out. But after market 'round' shift handles are available. I have one on my '63; you can see it in the pic I posted on the link provided. You may need/want something different. Seek and see shall find.

I have no idea what the spline count is for the output shaft of the PowerGlide (don't want to know; I despise those things). Matching the spine count of the output shaft of the transmission to the drive shaft yoke is necessary. You may require/desire a different yoke.

You will need a flywheel and a bell housing.

IF you are interested in a 'new Muncie' 4 speed; AutoGear sells them directly and various vendors do also. They are also a very good source for tech info/advice.

I chose the M22W (wide ratio with the 'rock crusher' gear configuration). For my '63. There are many others to choose from. Take your pick.

Just trying to be helpful. And GREAT choice going to the manual transmission!!

Pete

·
Super Moderator
3,511 Posts
For cost, a used/rebuilt Muncie is definitely cheaper than the more desirable Tremec 5/6 speed options. Unless you opt for the AutoGear unit, I'm not sure how well the Muncie will hold up to any abuse you may give it. I had a Muncie and overworked it with my 383 so I went with the TKO-600 which is a Tremec 5 speed. Love it and didn't have to modify the tunnel. IIRC - I couldn't re-use the previous clutch due to spline differences though.

The cost for me to go from a stock 3-spd manual to a 4-spd Muncie 10 yrs ago was around 1100 I think, all in. (trans, full clutch kit,
The TKO upgrade was closer to 3500 all in, all new. Re-used the linkage and shifter. Definitely not cheap, but I wanted that OD gear!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts