Impalas.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my car originally had a vinyl top,which I believe was one of the worst trend the automotive industry went through. Either way as we all know this panel is not available aftermarket. And welding on the roof will more than likely cause some major war page.any ideas on how to get these holes repaired,without replacing the front half of the roof? Body filler isnt gonna do it on this one. I am fully competent to do all of the rest of what my car needs. But a body man I am not.
:beers::beers:

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
Lou Santiago took a car with a similar problem and repaired it wita series of one or two inch patches. Cut out the old with a cutting wheel and hand form the patch to match the roof contour with a hammer and a lead shot bag then weld a spot at a time until it was fully welded in place. Grind it down flat and repeat about three hundred times. It turned out great; a solid metal roof smooth and concours finished when painted.

Big Dave

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave, that is pretty well what I was leaning toward, I just wanted to have it said by others without mentioning it myself . I won't have to do the whole roof.just a few places about ten inches back from the windshields. Would you suggest mig or tig ? I have Both

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
TIG is the better of the two processes as you can control the heat more precisely with the foot pedal.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
If you could transport it without warping it I agree. I would cut it off at the base of the A and Sail panels (destroying two quarter panels in the process and then keep it up right while you drag it home on a flat bed trailer. If you bought the whole car as a parts car you could swap it as a smaller piece and salvage the quarter panels because you would not have to worry about transporting a flimsy piece of metal.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,518 Posts
We need to see pics before suggesting appropriate repair methods. On my 71, there were simply a few pinholes at the bottom of the back window where the top was. Cleaned up the metal, MIG'd the holes, bodyworked, and finished. Anything can be patched by someone that knows what they are doing. Complete roof replacement is certainly possible, but may not actually be needed.

Post pics.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok well I have a 67 fastback parts car I bought and the roof is perfect. Is the roof panel the same between the two years? I know lots of parts interchange between the two, but not sure if the roof is one. The 67 quarters are shot anyhow.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the 67 really just to save it from the crusher. I have what I need for my 68 without it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel like quite an idiot for not thinking of that first, but I keep the 67 at a friend shop across town and I totally forgot I had it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Impala bobs has the windshield listed for 65-68, I believe it might work
But can't get the 2 cars side by side. The 67 is in a lot where we have it about 5 rows deep with other non operative vehicles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts