Impalas.net banner

68 Impala left underdash knob?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  mls68z28 
#1 ·
Hi working on a 68 impala 2dr fastback i recently picked up. I am replacing some of the electrical switches and noticed under the dash on left of the steering column there is a knob and rotary switch. There are two wires which go into the harness I cant continue to trace unless I start ripping. Knob is similar to a vent knob. However it does nothing. This is mounted under the dash, knob facing to floor. I am suspecting it maybe something to do with heating, rear defrost ??, if so since removed if it there was. Not having much luck finding info on it. Asked a few pld school chevy friends as well but no avail. Appreciate anyone's insight.

#3 ·
If it's mounted underneath the dash instead on the face it is probably something aftermarket someone added at one point. Maybe they were replacing a broken switch or knob that didn't work.

I found an old light pull chain type switch in my 67 under the dash that someone used to replace the old vaccum style switch that broke, looked to be decades old.

#7 ·
Here is a picture of the button, thanks folks.
Okay, my Super Sport had that. On my car, it was a two speed knob for a rear defroster. Turn it one way for high speed and the other for low. Does your rear deck have a louvered grill off to one side? That would be where the blower motor was. It might have been removed or replaced (speakers?), but the wiring might still be there. Take a look and see if you have any wires that are not accounted for back there.

#6 ·
It does look original. If no one can identify it, the best thing to do is to list all the Options the car has. It is most likely a Switch for one of them.

Or check into an original Owners Manual that should show it.

Keep us posted on it.

#8 ·
Rear defrost was my weak assumption. And there seems to be a stop in the switch as you indicated so all likely this is what is was at some point. There is no evidence of a rear defrost system, as the top behind the back seat was replaced prior to my purchase, no speaker holes or any penetrations. I looked for wires in the back but only speaker wires and no heavier wires for a heater fan or such. I can probably conclude this is what is was for before the last mods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.