Impalas.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 69 with a cut hose.i bought the car like this so i did not know why but i assumed the lines needed to be replaced. after replacing the lines i whent to finish the job by taking off the cut hose that was hanging with pliers pinching it off from leaking...this is where im stuck.how do you get the old hose off ????..please help

·
Registered
1,414 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks i got it..now if i had the right replacement hose i could finish the job...the right hose should be in tomorrow morn..kinda sad i spent a a whole day to have it end up not being the right one...does anyone have a good idea on where to get a decent priced front end kit..my bushings and such are shot

·
Super Moderator
2,915 Posts
I use NAPA for the stock stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got mine from pst for 179 free shipping.Plus another 90 at amazon for the tool to press in the bushings.Your also going to need a grinder and an air hammer to get off the upper balljoint,and a drill because the holes in the upper control arm will need to be enlarged to accept the new balljoint.I also used a large c clamp and big sockets to press in the lower control arm bushing.The hardest part was using coil spring compressor i rented mine from auto zone.I ended up cutting two coils off so it would be easier to install.Next time im going to buy a good coil spring compressor.This how i rebuilt mine and this was my first rebuild so sombody else mite know a better way!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you can send me the links or address to what exactly you purchased i would really appreciate it.. i found a kit for $380 to replace all the bushings and idler arm and tie rods...let me know if this is a rip off or a fare deal

·
Super Moderator
13,083 Posts
There are two choices basically. The OEM used rubber bushings to get a "jet smooth" ride. Problem is the replacement rubber bushings are not as hard as the originals (lower number durameter reading). You other choice is to use polyurethane or nylon plastic bushings They are all harder than the original rubber bushings with the nylon Delalum bushings being nearly as hard as metal bushings that used to used in racing. Plastic bushings are available in different colors and some are self lubricating while others require greasing. Some of those that require greasing have grease fittings and others that require greasing do not come with any means of greasing them other than a one time shot durring instalation. Those cheaper bushings have to be modified by grinding grooves and installing Zerk grease fittings before they are installed.

Big Dave

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
So now it looks like I have to go back through all my suspension poly bushings to groove and tap zerks, I've been trying to put that off :(.
Any recommendation on how to cut the groove either in a spiral around the bushing or one loop around them and how wide and deep? OR replace with greaseable. So many questions; so little money :).

·
Super Moderator
13,083 Posts
I use a 7" grinder locked into a bench vice to place a straight groove down the out side of the bushing and drill a hole up into the grove after drilling a larger diameter hole for the Zerk fitting. I have an air powered grease gun so it pumps out a 90psi with only the pull of a finger. If you are hand pumping you might need a larger grove and grease feed hole.

Big Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts