Impalas.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys doing full resto on my 66 SS Impala and have come across some problems with the A/C unit
after freeing up the cables the the hot and cold flap inside the a/c box still does not open and close
as it should I have uplaoded some photo of the flap when you move the hot and cold control the flap does not move all the way across to the position. we have pulled apart the control on top of the A/C box and the flap moving free and when no cables are attached. has any one come across these problems any help would be nice thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys doing full resto on my 66 SS Impala and have come across some problems with the A/C unit
after freeing up the cables the the hot and cold flap inside the a/c box still does not open and close
as it should I have uplaoded some photo of the flap when you move the hot and cold control the flap does not move all the way across to the position. we have pulled apart the control on top of the A/C box and the flap moving free and when no cables are attached. has any one come across these problems any help would be nice thanks.
Hi...just went through this on my 65 which is the same. In my case after taking off the clip so I could get the lever mechanism apart on top, my lever that is staked to the shaft was loose. would move the flap part of the way but not through the full range of motion. After checking a spare box that I had that was exactly the same, decided to braze it back together. Works absolutely great now. You do have to be careful that its brazed in the right position or you won't have enough adjustment to get a full sweep of the flap. Mine also had a plastic bushing that fit the pin on the flap lever. Helps to take up slack in the slot...looks like yours might have cracked and fallen out as I don't see it in the picture. I seem to remember adjustment instructions in the assembly manual.

·
Super Moderator
3,511 Posts
Great info Warren. Thanks for that.

I replaced my heater core like 2 years ago and haven't reconnected my cables yet. :-O Murphys Law says I was going to experience issues like the OP so I haven't done it yet. 🙃

1 - 3 of 3 Posts