Impalas.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Impala SS 396 Convertible
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to install a retromod or OEM a/c unit in my heater-only Impala. The Classic Air kit looks pretty complete and doable for a DIY but I'm not sure as I cannot find step-by-step instructions anywhere, other than a few YouTube videos. Anybody have any experience doing this?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up. The vintage Air system looks solid. Do you think that either is a real DIY, or should you farm it out to someone who knows what he is doing.? :)

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I've dealt with both companies and preferred the Vintage Air kit. Lots of room under the dash for the unit and cleans up the engine bay. Some of their included or base controls are kind of cheesy and I did buy an upgrade for that.

Also nice is you can buy an empty "test fit" case from them to check your install dimensions and return it for credit when you're done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recommend Vintage Air. My 64 Impala SS had factory air and I purchased Vintage Air after looking around a year. They have great installation instructions for a DIY user. I had more problems removing the old A/C unit than installing the new Vintage Air.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I watched the videos and the system looks good! Still not sure if I want to tackle it myself, but the main problem now is that the kit is on backorder for 3-4 months! :mad:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
but the main problem now is that the kit is on backorder for 3-4 months! :mad:
Just for some general info, sometimes those "3 or 4 months" can eventually mean 6 to 8 months, if not longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts