Impalas.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've slowly been going through all the wiring on my 65. After replacing the bulbs, sockets, flasher, and turn signal cam everything works but I have to pull the lever to turn on my headlights and dash lights. This has to be done for my running lights, brake lights, and turn signals. Is there a common problem that I should look for before I tear out the headlight switch and start chasing wires?

I haven't seen this specific problem in the forums yet but all the other articles have definitely helped me get to this point. Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Are you saying you have to pull out the knob for the headlight switch to make the headlights and dash lights come on? If so, this is normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I understand that is normal but all my turn signals, brake lights, and tail lights also require me to pull the knob for them to work.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm thinking you have an issue in the wiring to the switch. I know the brake lights work through the turn signals, and they get power from the light switch. The lights don't have to be on, but the ignition does for the turn signals to work, as the ignition sends power to the flasher. I think someone may have cobbled up the wiring and put the feed to the turn signals on a switched post, instead of an always hot post.

·
Super Moderator
3,473 Posts
I basically agree with Craig32. It kind of sounds like someone had an issue with the original power and instead of fixing that, they tapped into the power that feeds into the headlight switch. They should be 2 different feeds.

Here's a diagram that you can use to trace back your power and check where yours got tapped into, versus how the factory did it.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts