Impalas.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 4 door Impala with a 327 and an Aluminum PG, Got it running and drove it for a few weeks and replaced the vac mod then it wouldn't move much so I pulled the pan and it was full of sludge and bits of metal.

I had someone take it apart and the high drum, disks, and band were toast so I had them replaced (also cleaned out everything) , Got it back into the car and drove around for awhile and sheared the rear pump pin so I had it replaced along with a new pump housing.

Now it runs ok until it warms up at which point it will not upshift until around 45MPH and letting off the throttle completely.
(when cold shifts at around 20-25)

Is it possible that the pump isn't the same for different years?, Or has something else quit on me.

This is my first time posting here. Sorry for any mistakes I may have made.

Any help would be very much appreciated. :)

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
Welcome to the Team Nicholas!

You are shifting on the governor; so I would assume the vacuum hose from the engine to the vacuum modulator fell off, or your vacuum modulator is defective. I am sorry you are having so many problems with your tranny. Rather than putting money into a PowerGlide I would have recommended a TH350 swap instead.

The TH350 has the same second gear ratio as your PowerGlide's low range so in affect with a PowerGlide you are driving around with a broken TH350 that won't shift into first gear. That lower ratio first gear gets the car rolling faster and with less strain on the engine.

Big Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, the line is connected but maybe the vac mod isn't working, I was thinking about a th350 swap but I might have to get floor shifter.

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
Thank you, the line is connected but maybe the vac mod isn't working, I was thinking about a th350 swap but I might have to get floor shifter.

Your current shifter will work as is if you don't mind not being able to manually shift into first gear. This is how cop cars are shipped. This was done to keep cops from down shifting into low range while chasing a suspect, because they had a bad habit of blowing up the engine or the tranny in doing so. The linkage will work just fine allowing you to find reverse neutral drive and second gear as well as placing it in park.

If you want to shift into all four gears you can use the linkage off of another 1965-70 TH400 or a 1969-'70 TH350 car assuming you can find one in a junk yard. Failing in that the aftermarket sells reproduction linkage including the shift indicator lens.

http://www.shiftworks.com/lens.htm#66impala

The OD lens is for a 200R4 upgrade to use an overdrive transmission that physically bolts in place of the PowerGlide (same size and uses the same cross-member pushed back to the Th400 position).

Here is a discussion of the effort involved to swap a Th350 in place of a PowerSlide

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2005/11/01/hmn_feature15.html

Big Dave

·
Registered
63 imp. 283. PG. 321 rear
27 Posts
I have a 65 4 door Impala with a 327 and an Aluminum PG, Got it running and drove it for a few weeks and replaced the vac mod then it wouldn't move much so I pulled the pan and it was full of sludge and bits of metal.

I had someone take it apart and the high drum, disks, and band were toast so I had them replaced (also cleaned out everything) , Got it back into the car and drove around for awhile and sheared the rear pump pin so I had it replaced along with a new pump housing.

Now it runs ok until it warms up at which point it will not upshift until around 45MPH and letting off the throttle completely.
(when cold shifts at around 20-25)

Is it possible that the pump isn't the same for different years?, Or has something else quit on me.

This is my first time posting here. Sorry for any mistakes I may have made.

Any help would be very much appreciated. :)
My powerglide shifts at the same speed that you indicated however it’s opposite when it’s cold it will shift in about 45 when it’s warm it will shift about 3o. At the shift point I do have engine flare also
At some point I will go for a rebuild of what I have because I know it’s basically good.
I have installed a temporary fix to help it shift much sooner into second. Take a 10 foot plastic coated thin cable. Go down under the transmission and loop it around like him to the shift lever. It is spring loaded. Feed the wire under the driver side wheel well wheelhouse up along the firewall and through under the dash with the loop on the end It’s a great option you pull the wire only about inch and a half and it shifts quick and smooth. However you have to have a speed above 20. Careful when you pull you cannot have the foot on the gas. If you try good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts