Impalas.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lifetime Premium Member
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy an aluminum radiator. Should I paint it or not? My car is no longer all original since I put aluminum oil pan and some chrome under the hood. I just do not know if silver shining thru the grille wouldn't look bad.

What's your opinion?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
leave it aluminum

Alex.....
my opinion....leave aluminum.
First off, any paint on the fins will lower the efficiency a little depending on how heavy you apply it. They do make special paint for radiators that is very thin and is suppose to minimize that.
Secondly, I don't think that with the hood closed the aluminum would be that noticable.
Thirdly, I think aluminum radiators are kool looking in a slightly/fully modified car.......
so there's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I didn't paint mine

I was thinking about painting mine and decided that it was so far from original that I would just leave it alone. I'm happy with my decision.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm planning on painting mine, but only because I'm trying to keep everything stock appearing. Not sure how well that's going to work out though.

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
I'm planning on painting mine, but only because I'm trying to keep everything stock appearing. Not sure how well that's going to work out though.
As mentioned you can buy a special paint for radiators that is more dye than pigment and plastic. Be sure to read the instructions for proper coverage and to keep from permanently dying your skin (unless you want to make a few paper cut outs for a painless tattoo).

Big Dave

·
Lifetime Premium Member
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replies. I will keep it aluminum then. It will definitely make things easier and less messy if I do not have to paint.

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
... It will definitely make things easier and less messy if I do not have to paint.
You never have to do anything! It is your car build it the way you want it (unless someone walks up to you at show and says "You should do this." and then offers to pay you for the change. But I don't see the money coming anywhere near where their mouth is somehow.)

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
3,496 Posts
Kinda funny - I'm the only coot that would throw some of that radiator black paint on it.

I just always hated seeing the aluminum behind the grill, for me it takes away from the cars 'looks' from the front. :clonk:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts