Impalas.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My very first post, other than the welcome post, & I think it's a good one, lol. I just got a '68 Impala & the channel that the back glass lays in is rusted out very bad. I would like to cut it out all the way around & mig a new/good used channel back in, But, I don't have a clue as to where I can get a new channel or a used one. I don't have a metal brake to bend sheet metal & even if I did I would still have the four corners to find. I think I can cut it about a 1/4" back all the way around & have good solid metal to weld to. The feller I got the car from said I could get some L channel at Lowes to fix it with but if somebody sells a patch panel I would much rather go that route. I searched the internet for three hours last night & found nothing other than they're bad to rust in this spot.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would check with one of the arizona junkyards that have rust free parts.
DVAP.com is one of the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I don't know of anyone that makes a repo window channel for you car.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome Ted, first off you got the best year but I'm biased! I had a Custom with the same problem and to save you time, they are not reproduced as with alot of other sheetmetal. That is the downside of the 67-69's.

As Paul said check the yards, get a good parts car if you can. FYI any G.M "B" body
parts 95% will fit. They may not look the same but fit. Remember that Chevy was the bottom tier of the GM line back in the day, so the B.O.P's just got better "stuff".

Good luck and if you need referance pics. along the way I can post some.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would check with one of the arizona junkyards that have rust free parts.
DVAP.com is one of the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I don't know of anyone that makes a repo window channel for you car.
Thank you, I'll try to locate some yards out west. I have searched for at least 5 hours by now & have found nothing as far as repop goes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome Ted, first off you got the best year but I'm biased! I had a Custom with the same problem and to save you time, they are not reproduced as with alot of other sheetmetal. That is the downside of the 67-69's.

As Paul said check the yards, get a good parts car if you can. FYI any G.M "B" body
parts 95% will fit. They may not look the same but fit. Remember that Chevy was the bottom tier of the GM line back in the day, so the B.O.P's just got better "stuff".

Good luck and if you need referance pics. along the way I can post some.
Thanks alot feller for the info & offer. When I find something that I can make work I may hit you up on the pics.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
141 Posts
Any good metal fabricator can fabricate you a piece to weld in, provided he has a stretcher/shrinker to fab the curves required. Might think about panting the channel with Pickup Truck bed compound or POR-15 before installing the glass...will double the life before you have to do it again.

Also you might find most of the channel is included on a repro filler panel, the one between the rear glass & deck lid...(but it won't include the corners & up the sides)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought some 18ga. sheet metal from the local steel supplys drop pile for really cheap. I made a pattern out of construction paper & gonna give it a shot myself. I plan on mig weldin it in in pieces 8-10 inches long. I have one corner to do as the other three can be saved & plan on doin pie cuts to make the bend. There may be some RAGE short strand involved but hey, this is what our hobby is all about right. Restoring our cars back to the way we like them & doin it to the best of our ability while having fun at the same time. I hope to post pictures asap. The spring Rod Runs are just 3wks. away so I don't have a whole lot of time if I want to drive her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts