Impalas.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think I'm on the right track for this, but LMK your thoughts.

Took my 65 327/powerglide car out for a spin today. Noticed a little flare on one shift. I know from many years of experience with the car that it does this when it's getting low on fluid. The pan used to leak a bit. But, I dropped the pan, did fresh fluid/filter and seal, and no more leaks. Got home, parked on the road so it was level, left it running, checked fluid, and sure enough, down over a pint. No problem, up to the garage for some ATF. Poured in, checked each time. By the time it was coming up on the stick, I noticed that there was now a lot of smoke out of the exhaust! Hmmm... it's not leaking, it's BURNING trans fluid!

So, failed vacuum modulator, right? I can put it on the lift at school tomorrow to verify. If there's trans fluid in the hose, it's bad? Should I replace the hose or just clean it out?

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's an easy one.If you pull the hose off the vacuum modulator down at the modulator on the trans and fluid drips out then the next step is replacing the modulator.I'm not sure what goes wrong inside but I have replaced a couple of vac modulators that sucked trans fluid.It will take a little while to see the smoke stop though.It usually does at least slow down initially but a little patience goes a long way here.

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, all fixed. There was lots of fluid in the line, poured right out when I pulled it. Took longer to put the car on the lift than to fix it! 17 dollars for the made in USA part from Rostra. I love old Chevys.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts