Impalas.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
shout from help please.... blew the spider gears on my diff, this weekend took the axle out so I can take to someone who can fix it (have some spider gears coming from rockauto, as they are the cheapest and quicker to get to the UK, but also looking for a posi here)
while there I found some of my bushing are completely toasted and I'm struggling to make send of the names and what to get, hope someone can explain and help out.

From what I understand, the bushings are like a cup thing, with a metal shell? they dont look like the best design, because only one side has a lip to centre, so the other side will just 'float' ?

These are mine on the right side:

1) - Am I correct the ones used are these here?

2) - On the left side of the car, the bushes look different, they have rubber on both sides of the arm? Someone used a different type?

3) - Another query..... I found these kits, which I have been told are easier to fit, but I'm not sure what is they refer to as "single upper control arm" and "double upper control arm", is that the arm connected to the top of the axle, marked on my photo with a blue arrow? meaning that mine only has one?

4) - Also, these kits below say to reuse outer metal shells.... but looking at the bushing from my left side, the one which shows rubber on both sides of the arm, don't look like I have the metal shells there anymore??

5) - Last question, on rockauto website there's loads of bushings, they refer it as lower front, lower rear, upper rear, etc... there's no diagrams, and I'm struggling to figure out exactly which ones I need, as I need 4 and they look different sizes... would anyone be able to explain and help me out? Only have one shot at this to order as it comes from the US to the UK, so returns and re ordering is a no go, or it would cost a load of money, already kicking myself for only finding this after ordering the spider gears as it could have all come in the same shipment...

thank you for the help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not to worry, figured it out today with the help of someone and I had some time in the garage.

The bushes I need is the poly ones for 1 control arm.
they need the outer shells of the old bushings, which is ok, mine were so bad on one side, I pulled the rubber out by hand. so that's ready for the new poly.
The other side I'll cut/drill/burn the rubbers out.

Was planning on pressing the old bushings out and could see how bad the design is that when they are pressed out it will probably crush the arm... so I've added thick steel plate to box it in and prevent crushing, will also add plate along the arm to give more rigidity. If I was in the US i'd probably just get tubular though

1 - 2 of 2 Posts