Impalas.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1963 Impala 2-door. The three attached photos are from the same place on the body - the passenger side - the corner where the lower corner of the firewall meets the body sub-frame channel. As a point of orientation, you can see the point where the bottom of the right fender bolts to the body. It is also important to note the floor pan has been removed so the picture is looking at the right side kick panel area.

In the first picture I include a brace that I cut away. It has several small holes in it where spot welds were attached to floor pan. In the second picture I laid this part aside to expose a piece that has a portal of sorts in it, in my case was rusted pretty bad and needs to be replaced. This part is formed with a bulge or bump in it and it has a portal that would appear it was intended to pass a cable or wire through. In the third picture I have removed the bumped part to show what I have cut out. Aside from the bumped part, the metal I need to replace is flat 16g so not an issue to fix. I am wondering about the best was to duplicate the rusted bumped part. Or could I just duplicate what was done on the driver's side. The driver side, I believe, is all flat. But as I said above, it appears there are openings to allow a cable to route through this area of the frame. I don't recall any such cable when I disassembled everything but my memory may be failing me. I'm not aware of any after market folks make replicates of this part of the car.

I was hoping someone could provide some insight as to what the portaled bump was intended for and if it is important to replicated and, maybe, have some ideas how to go about replicating it. I have access to a 'Pull Your Own' yard with several 62-64 Impalas that would be suitable to take a cordless sawsall to get the desired piece of the body. But if flat will work, I can do that without much effort.

Thanks for any insight or suggestions.

Automotive tire Gas Wheel Tire Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Tire

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Gas Wheel Tire Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Tire
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding, BA. I cannot think of any reason the body channel in this area of the car would seemingly provide an opening for a cable, wire or maybe some sort of fluid line. Perhaps it is used on the right side drive version where this part of the body would be the same as the left hand version. I'm about to the point that I'll rebuild it and not provide for the access hole/portal i.e. make if flat. Thanks again.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks for responding, BA. I cannot think of any reason the body channel in this area of the car would seemingly provide an opening for a cable, wire or maybe some sort of fluid line. Perhaps it is used on the right side drive version where this part of the body would be the same as the left hand version. I'm about to the point that I'll rebuild it and not provide for the access hole/portal i.e. make if flat. Thanks again.
maybe for antenna?
I think SS antennas were in the rear but non-SS were in the front fender?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the antenna coax runs under the carpet? I have a non-SS (Impala) and the antenna is on the right rear. When I got my car, the carpeting was long gone. Maybe the Biscayne had the antenna on the right front fender. I've seen pictures that reflect this but I've also seen pictures of the Biscayne with the antenna on the rear. Of course this is an easy modification.

Thanks for the thought 65&67.

·
Registered
452 Posts
just checked, my 65 Impala SS convertible has a single antenna on the right rear quarter panel. radio appears to be standard AM with 5 pushbutton settings.

my 67 Impala non-SS convertible has an antenna on right front fender. radio should be a standard AM also (buried in the garage somewhere)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts