Impalas.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what causes this to randomly happen for a bit and then stop and be pretty steady again ?

Its happened about 4 times this year.
Earlier this year, once, it pegged at 120 for about 30-60 seconds.

Otherwise its pretty steady, sometimes a +/- 2mph sway.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

· Registered
82 Posts
Lube the cable, it's about to break. Used to be 3 in 1 oil, something light like that. When it gets 10 jumping about 10 MPH, it's soon going to break. :(

· Super Moderator
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The curious bit is that this cable only has around 5000 miles on it and it was indeed lubed with a lot of graphite when it was put in. The randomness of the issue had me wondering if a brittle/old speedometer gear might be a cause more than lube on a new cable. eg. could a small part of a plastic gear broken off at that end. I've never heard of that happening but it seemed plausible.

This has been going on for a year and a few thousand miles now. Well, off-and-on, right, like noted above.

· Registered
1,590 Posts
If the Cable is fine, it almost has to be the Speedometer itself. I doubt it would be a Transmission problem. If it's not really an issue, you may want to just wait till it breaks. Maybe have a replacement ready in case it does.

Extra note on the Cable Lube though, I believe we would use Chassis Grease in ours.

Reactions: BA.

· Registered
538 Posts
The one time (back in 1960 something) I lubed the speedo cable (because the needle was 'jumping and making a real racket) I used liquid graphite. I was told oil was incorrect but I do not remember why.

The liquid graphite solved my problems.

Pete

· Registered
491 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts