Impalas.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to post another question when I still haven’t worked out the problem on the last question I posted but I checked my brake lights in the garage today,completely dark & I have to step on the pedal much harder than I would if I were coming to a stop at an intersection for the brake lights to come on. I’m thinking maybe the brake light switch but wouldn’t that just fail completely? Not sure what else it could be or how long this has been like that without me knowing😳

·
Registered
20 Posts
do you have power brakes ? when you are testing the lights in garage is you car running or off ?
if you have engine off it might feel like more brake is being applied. if you have power brakes the booster runs when engine on can give different pedal feel.
or
like said above could be just an adjustment on switch

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m sorry guys, I do have power brakes. I installed a booster to my car some months back & im not used to that I guess. I check the lights every so often in the garage & forgot all about the vacuum/booster.

Fired up the engine and checked brakes, everything is fine. Thank you all👍🏽

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The brake light switch has a plunger that is on a threaded body of the switch. By changing the distance from the plunger to the bit of metal on the brake pedal 'arm', you can change how much travel is needed to actuate the brake lights. It may also be possible that the plunger on the switch has become sticky, so check that as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate to post another question when I still haven’t worked out the problem on the last question I posted but I checked my brake lights in the garage today,completely dark & I have to step on the pedal much harder than I would if I were coming to a stop at an intersection for the brake lights to come on. I’m thinking maybe the brake light switch but wouldn’t that just fail completely? Not sure what else it could be or how long this has been like that without me knowing😳
Did you check the bulbs themselves. Over time the nodes on the old school bulbs wear down and the connection gets lost just by hitting a bump. take the lens cover off and wiggle the bulb while someone is holding down the brake pedal. If the light flickers then that is your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts