Impalas.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for 400 bucks I am going to pick up a 63 Buick LeSabre with a seized nailhead. My plan is to use the frame for my 64 Impala so I can swap into mine. So my question is this, what suspension parts are the same that can stay and what about the 3rd member, is it better or worse then my 64 p case with 3.36?

·
Premium Member
13,148 Posts
BOP rear ends were highly desirable for their strength back in 1957-64. The have a 9.3 inch in diameter ring gear, and 31 spline axles. They can be used in a Chevy X-frame car but you have to modify the housing to accept coil springs and control arms as the BOP rear ends were leaf spring mounted (carefully cutting off the old mounts and rewelding them back on the BOP rear).

I would leave the factory rear were it is and drop the body over the Buick frame and make the modifications to get the frame to bolt to the Chevy body.

Big Dave

·
Registered
392 Posts
A 1963 Le Sabre rear diff is coil spring mounted. I just don't know if the coils are the same as 1964 Impala.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you plan on using the 63 Buick X frame on a 64 you will have to make some modifications. The frames are both X frames, but similarities stopped there from everything I have read.

Reactions: 62BillT

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right definitely some mods will have to be made. Couldn't find a whole lot of info on the rear end and LeSabre either.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
As stated, not an easy accomplishment. I never heard of anyone swapping one, but there are a lot of modified cars out there with all kinds of changes on them. That said, my best guess would be to not expect anything to line up for a direct bolt in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts