Impalas.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking up the numbers on the tired old Holley carburetor currently on my car it looks like it has a 390cfm Holley 4160. I have found a deal on a brand new 570 cfm Holley but am far from an expert on the subject to know if this is going to be too big for a (.30 over) 283 ci V8.

Also, the car still has the original Powerglide in it, and I see kits on the Holley site for hooking their carburetors up to various overdrive transmissions but not the Powerglide. Am I incorrect in assuming that going from the 4160 Holley to the 4150 that I will be able to use the same throttle and transmission linkage currently in the car?

Thanks in advance for any information and assistance. I love this community.

·
Super Moderator
13,041 Posts
Yes you are correct. All Holley carbs use the same Ford throttle arm. So once you have the correct bushings and/or studs to mount your Holley on you car any other Holley will use the same parts to work in the future.

A 283 will run just fine with a 390 cfm carb (which is only a bit bigger than the Rochester 2GC that came on most small blocks which flowed any where from 265 to 325 cfm when tested at the 1.5 inches of Mercury used to rate a four barrel). Is bigger better? The next step up is going to be a 450 cfm carb (a double pumper, list number 0-9776), then the next size up is a 570cfm (it is a dual feed vacuum secondary list number 0-81570); or just jump to a 600 cfm carb (difference is the 570 is a model 4150 and the 600 is a 4160 so the bigger carb uses a non-adjustable plate instead of an adjustable metering block).

Here are two dyno comparisons of smaller carbs with bigger ones. Note where in the RPM band your torque lies with each motor. Bigger carb makes more power up top but at the expense of bottom and mid range performance.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0403_seven_holley_carbs_test/viewall.html

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/completebuilds_testing/sucp_0304_chevy_small_block_holley_carb_tests_danger_mouse_part_eight/viewall.html

Big Dave

·
Registered
141 Posts
500 to 600...I had a Holley 4160 List 1850 I picked up for $5 & kitted back in the day (1975) on my '64 Chevelle SS 283/220 4 speed.... It was a sweet Carb...!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts