Impalas.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 ss convertible. Behind the dash cluster, attached to the left side of the dash housing is a circuit breaker. It has a decent sized wire coming to it from the fire wall, but 1 wire of the same size coming out of it but just taped off and going no where. the breaker tests out as blown, but where should the out wire be going to? Thanks in advance for any info

· Registered
133 Posts
Thinking of my 66 Impala hardtop, I don't remember a wire or breaker like that. The only fuses are in the fuse box at the firewall. Do not remember circuit breakers ever being used. Maybe a add on or for your convertible top. My car is not at home or else I would go look.

· Registered
72 Posts
The circuit breaker you have sounds like the one for the convertible top. The power comes from the horn relay on the core support to the firewall to the right of the brake master cylinder. From there it goes inside the car to the circuit breaker. From the circuit breaker, the wire goes to the power top switch. Hope that helps...

· Registered
236 Posts
On the S-I-L's 66 Caprice this is where the power wire for the power windows enters the passenger compartment.
You can see the connector next to the oil gauge line.

Sorry about the size. Didn't load these to Photobucket.
One of the red wires on the outside goes to the connector in the firewall.

Attachments

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I purchased a new circuit breaker and hooked up the switch for the top properly and things are good! Someone took a lead straight from the positive of the battery to the switch--no fuse or protection. Now it's run through a new circuit breaker and everything seems to work like it should. Thanks for all the comments!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts