Impalas.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just throwing this out there for anyone's opinion. I remember through the '50s and '60s one of the first things that stopped working in most American-made cars was the dashboard clock. These were the electric ones I'm referring to. Some time ago I studied the electric schematic for my '63 Impala and manage to find the circuit that ran from the clock through the firewall and on to the car's battery. I believe I noticed a fuse connection along that circuit. So, could a blown fuse be the reason these clocks stop working over time or something else?

In case anyone is wondering, the dashboard clock in my Impala doesn't work either. (Ahem!) I have it set at 5 o'clock. At least it shows the correct time twice a day!

I'll be anxiously awaiting any expert analysis on this matter!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,615 Posts
It will be the mechanism itself. I had a good thread on fixing them, but I don't know where it is. I'll look. It's similar to cleaning points in a distributor.

Edit, found it. Can't believe I remembered this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate that reply, Jay!
What you described sounds much more involved than just replacing a blown fuse. Therefore, I'll keep wearing my wristwatch and keep my dashboard clock set at 5!
Happy motoring!

·
Super Moderator
1,615 Posts
The clock on my 65 will re-start if I tap on the face. I'll do the fix someday when I take the cluster out to detail the lens and bezel. Or, quartz conversion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It will be the mechanism itself. I had a good thread on fixing them, but I don't know where it is. I'll look. It's similar to cleaning points in a distributor.

Edit, found it. Can't believe I remembered this.

Jayoldschool, THANK YOU for posting this fix. The clock in my ‘63 SS is dead and I didn’t think I’d be able to fix it myself. Now I can.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
As recall, the issue is the relay like device inside the clock. When the clock winds down, the contacts connect an the relay kicks some winding into the spring that runs the clock. The contacts get dirty / pitted or corroded with time. You can try cleaning them or get a reproduction quartz movement. I got the quartz movement and it works great, but I do miss that occasional "clunk" the original makes.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The issue is when the battery runs down, typically from not driving regularly, the clock slows down and the amps increase to the clock and burns the brushes.
After I got an NOS clock for my 1967 Impala, i installed a hidden toggle switch just to the clock and turn it off when I park the car. This has worked great for over ten years. I don't turn on the clock EVERY time I drive it --> the down-fall to this set up is I have reset the clock when I do turn it on.

Reactions: 62BillT

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I learned at a very young age, that they are just there for decoration, lol. I would set them at 6 o'clock and just leave it there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
im with dave i put a qurartz clock keeps perfect time never runs my batt down, kinda hard to get with ac car. check for 12 volts at clock first ,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts