Impalas.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, while redoing the dash on my '65, I ran into a problem with the clock. The old one had been hacked up with a battery movement, so I went and bought an OER reproduction quartz clock to replace it (link here: https://www.jegs.com/i/OER+Equipmen...zVtYOMQJmlqRV4pOXXh2SvvCGZUurctxoCBWEQAvD_BwE). With the new one installed, I get absolutely no movement out of it. I checked and I have 12v to the clock terminal and a good ground on the case, and still nothing. I assume at this point they sent me a defective clock. Has anyone else ever had this experience?

Best,
Sam

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an update: I decided to dissect the broken clock and discovered (no surprise) that it's not made too well. The clock's inoperability was due to a bad connection between the clock housing and the negative lead (see attached photo). I managed to scrape off some more paint and fix the connection, but then I discovered the second hand had fallen off (this may have just been from me getting the housing open). So for anyone looking to purchase one of these clocks, be aware you may encounter similar problems.

Attachments

· Registered
342 Posts
I decided to use an original clock for my 1967 Impala SS. I bought an NOS one from eBay. I would have no problem using a used clock that was service/restored by a professional. The problem with original clocks is the contact/points burn as the car battery goes dead. I installed a hidden toggle switch to the clock power lead. I turn it on when I drive the car. If my battery goes low/dead because I did not put on the battery tender, no big deal because the switch is turned off.

· Registered
6 Posts
I decided to use an original clock for my 1967 Impala SS. I bought an NOS one from eBay. I would have no problem using a used clock that was service/restored by a professional. The problem with original clocks is the contact/points burn as the car battery goes dead. I installed a hidden toggle switch to the clock power lead. I turn it on when I drive the car. If my battery goes low/dead because I did not put on the battery tender, no big deal because the switch is turned off.
Big Dog, could you provide a pic of this set up?

· Registered
342 Posts
..... ,i sent my original clock out and had a quartz put in ,works like new
Good to know. My nephew has a 1961 Bel Air and wants a clock. I suggested to his father-in-law to get him one for Christmas. I know my nephew is not as OCD as I am, so I decided a quartz conversion would be the way to go for HIM. With set up I have --> original clock with a toggle switch, you need to reset the clock when you turn it on. That will be a PITA for my nephew. We found a clock and sent it off to be converted. It should be done here in a few weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts