Impalas.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I have a disc brake conversion on my 1965 SS. Its been on the car for years with no problems, until recently. I don't drive the car much, i maybe have 2k miles on it since I finished the rebuild. The other day I took the car out I noticed the brake pedal was a little soft. I checked the brake fluid and saw it was low, I remember topping it off a few months ago and thought, there is no way it should be that low in such a short amount of time. Last night I got underneath the car and noticed a drip collecting on the rubber hose that connects to the caliper. The drip was at the section where the hose curves in a U shape. My question is, could it be I need a new caliper or can it be the rubber hose got loose at the caliper connection?

·
Super Moderator
1,664 Posts
Clean with brake cleaner. Tighten hose to line connection on the frame. Tighten hose to caliper (and you have the crush washer in there, right). Get someone to apply brakes while you look for leakage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clean with brake cleaner. Tighten hose to line connection on the frame. Tighten hose to caliper (and you have the crush washer in there, right). Get someone to apply brakes while you look for leakage.
I installed this brake conversion about 10 years ago. I installed everything it came with so if it had the crush washer on it, I installed it. I will try tightening it more after I clean it. I hope its not the caliper, I was planning on taking it to a Black Friday car show.

·
Super Moderator
3,738 Posts
I had a tiny, slow leak on one of mine years ago that showed up out of nowhere. Got lucky with just a smidgin of tightening on the drivers left front hose at the wheel side.
Hopefully you get equally as lucky!

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you still have a leak after tightening, those washers will be copper or similar soft metal so just remove them & heat them up on the stove & allow to cool, that will restore some of their crush.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts