Impalas.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase a disc brake conversion package for my '61 Impala, and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with the different vendors (PerformanceOnline v. ClassicPerformance v. SSBC v others). PO seems to have the best price right now, with a special on the slotted/drilled rotor upgrade, but the return policy is a little scary. I know that we are not to bash vendors, so I am not asking for that (although, if you have had a bad experience with one, perhaps a PM to me would work, rather than a post), but any positive experience re. quality and service would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
I spend a lot of time over at Pro-touring.com and there are tons of good comments there at at LS1Tech about KORE3 industries www.kore3.com. It's worth a call to see what they have available.

There's also Master Power Brakes at www.mpbrakes.com. They have nice complete kits but I think they use just stock type parts much like you'd get at any Auto Parts store.

·
Super Moderator
13,089 Posts
I do not favor one over the another. My recomendation is to buy everything from one source. That way there is no chance of a vendor pointing a finger at part "B" that was not in his kit and saying in the fine print of page 38 of the instructions it clearly states that part "A" is totally incompatable with part "C" and substituting part "B" for "C" voids the warranty. It has gotten to the point were your lawyer has to call tech support for you at some vendors these days.

Besides assuming you survive the crash, you will have an airtight case against the vendor if you buy everything he recommends. :D

Big Dave

·
Registered
472 Posts
I, and others I know of, have had great experiences with The Right Stuff. They have great service and prices.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am running Wilwoods on 62 Impala SS. Be careful when choosing, some of the kits will not fit drop spindles and might push your wheels out, as in the Wilwoods. The rear brake kit required extensive machine work to make it fit. Overall I anm very happy. Price was about 1500.00 for the parts and about 500.00 to have the differential machine that included new gears. Shop around and ask questions.
David

·
Registered
172 Posts
Stay away from Performance online. Their stuff is priced good, but there products are horrible quality. SSBC is great, thats who I have.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Stay away from Performance online. Their stuff is priced good, but there products are horrible quality. SSBC is great, thats who I have.
I too have SSBC but the car hasn't rolled since I installed them many years ago. I never finished hooking up the brake lines and bleeding them. I am hoping to get it into the shop to have that finished along with some other things as soon as some of this dam snow melts. It was supposed to go in before christmas but the guy at the shop had to get rid of a coverette to make room and after he got rid of it we had nothing but bad weather and snow.

·
Super Moderator
2,915 Posts
I also have nothing to say but good things about Right Stuff. When I installed 69 Impala disc on both my 65s they bent over backwards to help me get the lines and valves I needed. Great customer service.
One thing you have to watch with vendors is shiping. They will take advantage of you. Check prices and shiping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts