Impalas.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me 1.5 months to fight with cheap control arms, and poor tools, in order to re-fit & replace Just the passenger side of the Impala’s front suspension.

I just walked into the garage on a whim and have the new (quality) control arms and the strut rods hooked up on the drivers side. It was about 10 mins of tinkering.

I’m fairly sure I could get the spring in there too, if I had the energy (I don’t) today, in about 15 minutes.

🤦‍♂️ 🤣 Lessons learned I guess. I’m definitely “Team GlobalWest” now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What was bad about the the previous arms?
So take a look at this post - ( Global West vs the Chinese copies ) sums it all up with details too numerous to duplicate here. Basically, the knock offs seem to have been designed by copying the Global West parts by sight, and then were tweaked to fit. On top of that, the construction quality is dubious. Since they are off spec - they don't fit quite right, which then ripples problems with all the other parts that interact with them - such as strut arms, springs, etc.

As for the spring compressor tools I tried before the OTC, they would get stuck in the coils because of the bend that the 68' springs take. The OTC tool truly compresses them as opposed to pulling them down with hooks - so when you release the pressure, the plates don't get stuck in the coil. An added frustration with the typical spring compressors and the knock off lower control arms was that the access hole for the shocks was not big enough - so you had to disassemble the tool, insert the parts individually and then reassemble them in the spring. (That or death wheel the control arm OR the tool... yeah, hard pass on both.)

Trying to overhaul the front end with cheap tools and knock off parts was a nightmare. Using the OTC compressor and the the right parts... well, you could rebuild the font end in 30 minutes, max.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts