Impalas.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got it in my head to start collecting 3d models of classic parts for 3d printing, with the intention of starting an online library for DIY restorers; to this end, I'm slowly teaching myself a few modeling programs and looking into 3d scanners.

So far I've found a couple of dodge parts, but nothing really that useful; just things like switches and knobs.

With companies like Shapeways out there that can do on demand printing in a wide variety of materials, it makes sense that we should all just be able to upload and print out whatever rare parts we need in order to complete our restorations.

I just figured I'd put the question to you all, does anyone have models for any parts? If we came together and started amassing a library of them, it would be beneficial to all of us.

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
There are some programs, but most are for gun parts and the others for uniquely styled toys. The car market hasn't started to use plastic yet for anything other than trim.

Jay Leno has a 3D scanner that he uses to replicate parts as a feed into a computer that generates the machine code to control his five axis CNC mill that can make any part out of a piece of any metal you stick on the table. That is how most automotive guys use 3D technology currently, but it will change as gun nuts and people who are just plain nuts get bored making other toys with their 3D printers.

Big Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can 3d print out of almost any material now, silver, gold, stainless steel, etc... printing trim parts is still a big win as far as I'm concerned. I've been rebuilding my center console with modeling putty and epoxy. Being able to print things on demand like the interior mirror bracket or boot, the ash tray, etc, would be huge.

I'm looking into 3d scanners now, so hopefully in a few months, time and budget permitting, I'll be able to map most of the stuff I need for my 67; but having an online resource for everyone to use would be tremendous; especially as a gateway to shapeways, so it's just - click, select material, print, deliver.

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
Stainless steel can be printed? Do you use a MIG welding head instead of a plastic squirter? I learned to make metal parts by removing excess metal through machining it, or by making a die and adding molten metal to a precision mold.

Big Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To a limited extent...
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/steel

"We deposit small drops of glue onto layers of stainless steel powder. Then a new layer of powder is spread and the process repeats until we have a fully printed tray. Then we take the printed objects out carefully. In this stage of the process, the objects are very fragile–similar to wet sand. After, we sprue the objects together and infuse them with bronze. Items closer to the bronze infusion start point will absorb more bronze."

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts