Impalas.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove this dome light cover so I can replace the bulb? I have tried prying but I'm afraid to break it. I already put a couple of chips in it trying. 1964 impala 4 door Any help?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille

·
Super Moderator
3,511 Posts
I'm pretty confident that it's a snap fit so you have to pry on an edge of the 'clear' plastic to get it to pop out. You'd be best (of course) if you could pry exactly where the clip is at but I would absolutely try it at the little indent/dimple at that 7 o'clock position in your picture. It should pop right out.

Granted, this is a 55+ year old part possibly so it could be brittle. Not the end of the world to order a replacement if you have to.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Right, try to use a thin tool as well. I've taken out many and sometimes they will break if they are brittle. Finding a new/reproduced one should be no problem at one of the vendors if necessary.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I just grab the edges of the plastic and give a squeeze and pull down. There is a chance it will crack if it is old, that is just how plastic ages. Like Bill says, they are easy to find as reproductions.
On a related note, I replaced the bulb with an LED version to prevent the cooking of that lens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts