Impalas.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to track down rattling in my doors on my 63 impala but not sure where to start. On my drivers side (coupe) it sounds like it comes from the vent window, comes & goes. I’ll be taking the door panel off later to get a better look. If anyone has some advice on where to check it would be appreciated.

also does anyone know where these items go on our cars?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey Frank, not sure about the rubber rollers, but the washer and spring are under the door handles and window cranks - you'll see when you take the door panel off. Otherwise, the springs go over the shaft with the small side in, and the washer goes over them with the indent facing in. It helps align the window crank removal tool when you take them off.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Craig, I’m guessing I probably don’t need the spring & washer then being that I do not use a removal tool to remove the window cranks(I pry them off with a angle flat head)

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I am not mistaken the spring and plastic part put pressure on the crank keeping it from moving around which would make noise.

·
Super Moderator
3,465 Posts
Man, door rattles are the so annoying. Equally annoying is the number of causes of rattling that emanate from the door.

There's too much stuff to list, but for sure you should get that door panel off and try shaking the door and glass or lightly (! lol) hitting with a dead-blow hammer.
Two things that deteriorate over time are a cloth covering over a length of thin steel rod that connects the inner door handle to the door latch mechanism,.....and the window 'guides' that are bolted to the top of the door frame and look like small 2" felt-covered little brackets. They adjust in/out to prevent the glass from moving about and rattling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts