Impalas.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 66 Impala for a restoration project but one thing I'm hesitant on is there isn't any doors. I can't find a good dealer that sells them so it seems my only option is salvage.

Is this the case? What doors are interchangeable and are there any from other vehicles that fit as well? I've heard some buick doors are the same as impalas. I've even seen some parts being listed for a 64 Impala as being the same as an 80s integra.

Sent from my G91 Max using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Doors for '66 Impala 2-Dr HT's are not being reproduced. Used is the only solution. The '65 Door will also fit, but there will be no holes for the Side Molding. But it's better for '66 owners to use a '65 Door than for a '65 owner to use a '66 Door. All '65 and '66 2-Dr HT's Doors are the same (the Doors themselves) including Convertibles and the Caprice.

No other GM Door will interchange.

I have sold all my good Doors through the years, but still have a repairable or two left.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The more I look for parts for this car, the more I see that parts are just not there. Seems like the 65-66 were just too wonky.

Everyone feels the same way whatever year car they are working on, unless you are restoring a '63 or '64. Even then some parts are hard to find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This a common problem with all the years? It's really tragic then. This is kind of what I'd be working with so it seems all the prime pieces will be a pain then.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Looks like you have a stripped out body shell on a rolling chassis there.

You may want to start out with a more complete project.

Reactions: 65_&_67_Impala

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm kind of guessing that's a good idea. It's super cheap which was it's allure. That and I'm stubborn.

It'll definitely be a hard ponder. Just never seen such a weird shift in years of a generation.

·
Registered
348 Posts
if it's really stripped out, you'd be better off getting a more complete project. 65-70, EVERYTHING is different on these cars. front bumper, rear bumper, taillights, headlights, fenders, quarters, interiors, grille, hood, trunk lid, frame....EVERYTHING. the only thing that stays the same is the floor pans

that being said, I run a search pattern and I see these cars being sold and parted on craigslist on a regular basis. what part of the country you live in MissionG? are you willing to ship in stuff from xxx many miles?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't mind getting stuff sent in from anywhere a few times. A door that costs (and this a bs estimate) $200 and $150 is still worth more than no door.

Although, I have found a lead about 4 hours from me. With this cars frame (really great shape) and the one lead I'm tracking body, it'll be a very good combo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts