Impalas.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to drop the oil pan and clear the Frame cross member, with out raising or removing the Motor (283)?

Thank you, Nacho65SS

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
Without raising the motor no. If you raise the motor about four to five inches on each side by putting a 2x4 or a 2x6 under the motor mounts on each side of the car you can drop it down far enough for the main caps to clear the lip of the pan. Considering you are going to have to remove the distributor, motor mount bolts, fan as well as loosen the exhaust pipes you are doing most of the work required to pull the motor any way. It is also a lot easier to work on it out of the car rather than in it.

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Pull the motor, I hate oil dripping on me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you do decide to drop the pan with the motor installed, rotate the motor until the TDC mark on the balancer is at the 5 o'clock position. This will get the front crank counterweights up and out of the way so you can slide the pan back. Don't for get to loosen the tranny mount too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have pulled the pan on my '65 Impala a few times over the years with it's 383. It's not a big deal. Just need to pull motor mount bolts and disconnect exhaust pipes from headers or manifolds. Then jack it up by the trans. Be sure to use a block of wood between jack and trans so not to damage it.

I generally don't have to disconnect anything else to get the engine high enough to pull pan off. Just be careful to check stuff topside as you raise engine.

That idea was a total no go on my '70 Caprice with it's 454. Had to pull the whole engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts