Impalas.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Definitely not an easy item to find...especially new.
I know...I have searched everywhere.
I was told a junk yard was my best bet.
I will watch this thread to see if there are any sources.

After I posted the above reply I did a quick search on the net for "drum anchor"
I was able to come up with this item.
http://corvette-parts.zip-corvette.com/search?w=anchor pin&year=1965
It's a Corvette parts place but I would assume they are a standard size for GM cars.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I attempted to use a corvette pin without success so I had it reproduced. This is a super old thread but it's the first thing Google pulls up so it's likely to be useful. My 65 Impala has a different thread on it. Had the bolt made for the disc conversion but he's got the original so he's making some spare full anchor pins. If you need one or the other, PM me, I'll connect you.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found used anchor pins available from Southeastchevy.com. Nice folks to work with. I'm looking for the locking washer that goes under the pin on the '63 Impala if anyone knows about a source for these. Have yet to find a decent diagram of the drum brake assemblies for this car but still looking.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Are you referring to the "Washer" that you bend down an edge of it to lock in the Anchor Bolt?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Are you referring to the "Washer" that you bend down an edge of it to lock in the Anchor Bolt?
Yes - the very one. During my dis-assembly the anchor bolts and washers had to be sacrificed. Southeastchevy had the bolts but the washer, as it is single use item most likely, doesn't fit their business model as I understand it to be (used parts, primarily).

Do you have a source of the washers? Or do you know the key dimensions of the washer such that one could make them? They should be really straight forward to make.

If someone has a picture of the front anchor pin installed in a '63 Impala (or equiv) that would also be helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'm sure you have checked all the parts stores for new ones. I can picture the "Help" parts rack to have them.

If that doesn't work and if you don't mind used, I'll try to see if I have any available one day next week. They can be used more than once before they are shot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found them on the Classicmuscle Cars site but they are out of stock and not sure when they'll get any more. I have also found them as a kit when you purchase the pin. So I've found some things but nothing has worked out. I am up for using used. I am assuming they are flattened or could be flattened with a hammer on solid surface. So, sure let me know what you may have and we can discussed via email or phone or something. Thanks. I've had these on order some time and am now to the point that they are in critical path for me to move forward.

·
Registered
54 Posts
62BillT - I'm still not having much luck finding this silly washers. Now wondering if they can't be left off and replaced with thread locker. I'd prefer to use the part however. Did you have any time to see if you have anything used?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Now that I see that you can't find any new ones, I'll check to see what I can find and will send a PM.

Bill

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I found one that I believe is from a '61. According to my low-cost Vernier, the Outside Diameter is 1 5/16, the Inside is 21/32 (a little more than 5/8) and the Thickness is a little bit more than 1/32.

Bill

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found one that I believe is from a '61. According to my low-cost Vernier, the Outside Diameter is 1 5/16, the Inside is 21/32 (a little more than 5/8) and the Thickness is a little bit more than 1/32.

Bill
Excellent!! Worst case I can make what I need. I do have another related question. This washer is intended to act as a locking device. I recall it was folded up to contact at least two of the hex flats on the anchor bolt. It seems to be effective it must have been bent in some other manner to fully lock the bolt from turning. Could you provide some guidance on how this 'washer' is to be installed?

Again, thanks for the closure on the size of this part. Hopefully others will benefit as well. Certainly some thread locker would suffice but.........

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Anytime I changed out a Front Wheel Cylinder, I would just put it back the way it was. If the Washer looked weak, I would just use a different area. I would be hesitant on using Thread Locker. I once wrote a piece a while back on my Anchor Bolt from hell. I was taking out a Spindle and started with the Anchor Bolt. Would not budge. I finally ruined the Hex points on it and had to switch to a Pipe Wrench. Still would not budge. I needed more room. Had to break out the old Wheel Cylinder with a hammer and chisel. Put the Pipe Wrench back on. Still would not budge. I finally ended up with a comical series of pipes to get more leverage on it. I believe it was about 6 Ft worth. Finally broke loose, after a good hour of effort. What I'm getting at is I would not use any Thread Locker or some day you may not be able to ever get it off again. I would just torque it to the specified specs and lock it with the Washer.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Bill
Thanks Bill, I picked up a small piece of 20 gauge cold rolled sheet metal and using a hole saw and a step drill in my drill press I made a couple of washers pretty quickly. Not something I'd want to mass produce using this method but I now have the parts I need to move the front suspension part of my project along. Thanks for your help with this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts