Impalas.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 66 impala with a 350/350 from a chevelle. I got a new edelbrock 1405 and was wondering if anyone knew the proper vacuum line set up. The carb sits on a holley intake.

When I installed it, the brake booster vacuum line went directly into the intake through a port behind the carb. The PCV valve had a line that went to the big middle carb port in the front. The vacuum line from the distributor went to the small left carb port. The tranny vacuum went to the port in the back. And the small port in the front was plugged.

I thought this was correct, but when i start it, it dies when i put it into gear and the RPMs drop.

Any Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1,519 Posts
Google this:

edelbrock 1405 vacuum fittings

Then click on the first link. It is the instruction sheet for your carb. Looks like you have the distributor vacuum on the wrong feed. Move it to the right. (This is if you are looking at the carb, where LEFT would actually be PASSENGER side).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Distributor vacuum line needs to be connected to a ported vacuum connection on the carb. That means it is not drawing vacuum at idle. It starts to pull vacuum once the throttle blades open. On Eddy's it usually the small one on the passenger side of the engine.

Also, check for vacuum leaks, timing is correct, idle mixture screws are set correctly, idle speed isn't too low to begin with, wrong heat range of spark plugs. If this engine has a big cam, is it have stall convertor that is recommended for it?

·
Super Moderator
13,085 Posts
On cars of this vintage the ported vacuum didn't even exist (it was added when the feds forced the states to start checking emissions or sacrifice road money). T

The amount of time driving while your car is without full engine vacuum shouldn't affect drivability enough to be even noticed. But since you have; I suggest tinkering with your initial timing settings and the curve, or lack of it, in your distributor.

I suspect your weight stage has rusted solid and you are not getting any mechanical timing at all (or else the springs have rusted away so that the weights are not retracting and your initial timing includes the weight being at full out).

Either way an experienced mechanic needs to have a look see; or you can play with the distributor yourself if you feel comfortable changing weights and springs and resetting the timing.

Big Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts