Impalas.net banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really don't want to write this, but this completely sucks and someone has to as i've now discovered this is a common fault with this pump & Edelbrock haven't recalled them or subsequently been testing them for integrity after they're assembled. But they happily create a video telling you how good they are, how good their CNC machining of these pumps is & Blah Blah Blah, what a complete & utter joke.

I just purchased & fitted an Edelbrock 8851 Victor Water Pump, and as soon as I attempted to re-fill the engine with coolant the pump began to leak excessively from the, unused in my engine configuration, threaded boss at the top of the pump next to the two water outlets. I've now discovered feedback on both Summit's and Jegs' websites which point to the exact same issue and are dated as long as 3 years ago.

After removal & examination of the pump it's clear that the casting is defective which means they all are even if they don't leak, YET. The wall thickness of the pump body at that boss location is so thin that when the thread tap has cut the thread it has gone right through the wall of the pump tearing visible holes within the thread itself which consequently leaks coolant.

There is no way this pump would've passed any quality control if it had been tested, so clearly they simply don't bother. The buyer is their way of testing their products, along with all of the inconveniences & consequences that it causes.

Sorry for the rant. I don't really expect any replies. It's more to document this problem so others here can Beware, and also to let Google find it for anyone searching the net.

Sleeve Gesture Grey Tints and shades Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
116 Posts
That's crazy! I hemmed and hawed a lot this summer over which water pump to replace the original GM one that was seeping... I ended up going with the Summit Racing house brand one, thankfully it has been good for me.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I always have bought re-built pumps and prefer one to be an original GM. At the parts store we'll go through a few boxes till I find one I'm happy with. In the last 50 years, I've had pretty good luck with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently installed an electric fuel pump and could hear it run but no fuel. After some digging I found the red and black leads were reversed.
This was at the keyed plug between the pump and the top where it seals to the tank.
Yup, zero quality control and the customer is not the quality check.
Sucks but it may be somewhat self inflicted when, so many of us, purchase on price only.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, just unlucky I guess. No such thing as re-built here of course, no car wreckers with parts cars either, that's not just Perth either it's the whole of Australia. Probably would be more bearable if it was a cheap pump, for me it's a very expensive pump, but needed as it gets very hot here. I think I made a bad choice ultimately, their main competitors pump is advertised as 100% tested, foolishly I just assumed a company like Edelbrock would be doing that too.

I've been in contact with Edelbrock, someone in tech support no name supplied, apologetic for the failure & admitted they weren't tested & that's about it, no shock no surprise & I didn't honestly feel like it even really mattered.

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Considering the expense of shipping and other issues, it's possible to fix.
Install a fiber washer on the bolt add silicon sealant to the threads.
Install the bolt add another fiber washer and nut to the other side.
What do you think?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure it's fixable right up until you're going 70mph down the road with coolant all over your tires because the product is a dud. No thanks, as far as i'm concerned the whole thing could be wafer thin anywhere on it, not risking me or anyone I care about with that, sorry. Besides it should never be or ever have been my problem & as soon as you try to fix it your warranty is void, I can't afford to just tear up money, but Edelbrock obviously can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I get your frustration. Just providing options. Sounds like it's a return with a nasty review to add to the others.
I wish I could provide a creditable option on what replacement part to purchase.
Take care

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
116 Posts
I get your frustration. Just providing options. Sounds like it's a return with a nasty review to add to the others.
I wish I could provide a creditable option on what replacement part to purchase.
Take care
Well truthful isn't necessarily nasty - especially if this is a longtime issue that should have been remedied by now. As a potential customer I'd like to be spared the headache and I do read the reviews when purchasing parts - parts for these old cars are certainly not made equal.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Take care
only one problem.... he's in Australia, is he going to be able to do a return? did he buy online from North America and have it shipped, or in-country?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yes it was returned to the Australian supplier the day after the issue emerged, but they're 3500km away as there's no suppliers here in Perth. They're also currently understaffed so they say & just like Edelbrock they have a care factor of zero.
Everything was explained to them including the problem & the urgency & a week later the replacement hasn't even been dispatched yet, so this is my last purchase from them too.

And if you're reading this Mr Edelbrock, which I highly doubt, i've created a new logo for your business that's much more appropriate for you than your current one.

Font Rectangle Advertising Logo Brand

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yes it was returned to the Australian supplier the day after the issue emerged, but they're 3500km away as there's no suppliers here in Perth. They're also currently understaffed so they say & just like Edelbrock they have a care factor of zero.
Everything was explained to them including the problem & the urgency & a week later the replacement hasn't even been dispatched yet, so this is my last purchase from them too.

And if you're reading this Mr Edelbrock, which I highly doubt, i've created a new logo for your business that's much more appropriate for you than your current one.

View attachment 31498
you forgot the last 4 letters.... Dee Eye Cee Kay

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Lost me there buddy, but damn i'm starting to feel better. Wonder how long that will last. I'm going to post the ongoing "discussion" i've had with Edelbrock soon, they had me fooled, I thought I was dealing with a US representative of Edelbrock, but the lack of understanding of my last email makes me think they're in India, probably where the pumps are made.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The afterglow of making that logo wore off fast.
You Can Lead a Horse to Water.....
They shipped a replacement pump without checking it, & it's the same.
Call me Mystic Jynx.
EdelBroke created a problem & now it's a snowball, Awesome work.

DO NOT BUY THIS PUMP IF YOU CAN'T INSPECT IT

·
Registered
452 Posts
Lost me there buddy, but damn i'm starting to feel better. Wonder how long that will last. I'm going to post the ongoing "discussion" i've had with Edelbrock soon, they had me fooled, I thought I was dealing with a US representative of Edelbrock, but the lack of understanding of my last email makes me think they're in India, probably where the pumps are made.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's my conversation with Edelbroke Tech Support, I suspect he's in India because of the syntax, which is fine but here's the question, WHO DO YOU TALK TO, WHO HANDLES THIS, THERE IS NO ONE. And how can you possibly claim to be "Tech Support" if you don't even know about the products that have issues, just a bunch of lies from start to finish.

I purchased your #8851 water pump from (Redacted) recently & fitted it yesterday. When refilling the engine with coolant the pump immediately began leaking coolant from the inside of the threaded lug next to the two water outlets at the top of the pump. To say i'm disappointed is a complete understatement and i'd like to know exactly how a defective part leaves your factory without even being pressure tested. This leak isn't just a trickle either. I have made a short video 20.1MB of it leaking, if you'd like to see it then please advise. Because (Redacted) refuse to send a replacement pump until I remove & return this one to them (a week in shipping to return) i've been forced to buy another pump to get one here sooner, all because you failed to test it.

Hello, we are truly sorry for this to have happened, we can only apologize for this New Edelbrock Water Pump Leaking out-of-the-box, honestly, to my knowledge, we do not pressure test every water pump, we are all humans and mistakes can happen, sadly (Redacted) did not take care of you from what you have mentioned, hopefully your new water pump did not leak at all….

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I don't know about the new water pump. I've also discovered since emailing you that both Summit & Jegs have feedback on their sites of customers with the exact same issue with the same pump dating back up to 3 years ago. When the pump was removed & examined which again was after my initial email to you it's quite apparent that there is a fault within the casting which was explained to (Redacted), the pump wall is so thin on that lug that when the thread tap has cut the thread inside the lug it has torn visible holes through the wall of the pump as per the attached photo.

Again, we here in Edelbrock Tech Support do not always hear what happens as this is an example right here, we do not have the Staff to Check Summit Racing & Jeg’s Mail Order sites, we are still severely short staff at Edelbrock, hopefully (Redacted) does the right thing and Warranties your Water Pump, as we will Warranty the Water Pump for Distributor…

Yep well, if Edelbrock is unaware then firstly i'm shocked but you do know now and you should be requesting the return of this pump when you receive (Redacted) claim, so that you can cut it open & examine what went wrong, but I think we both know that if the % of failures is within a pre-determined level then nothing will happen at all. Anyway, i've learned my lesson, I won't make the same mistakes again. Have a nice day.

Again we here are Tech Support Only, Not a Warranty Dept, hopefully (Redacted) will Return to their Supplier who they Purchase Edelbrock Products from, and assured they will Receive Credit, you seem to feel we are the ones to deal with you Directly, not the Case, it also appears you may not be in Continental USA, possibly overseas, again, (Redacted) is who you Purchased this from, and they should take care of YOU, if you Purchase a New Vehicle, and something happens, you go back to the Dealership where you bought it, Not to the Manufacture, right…

Obviously the fact you're selling defective products is lost on you, I thought I was was advising you of an issue, but you've proven that you couldn't care less. That's fine, now I don't either. I'm now hoping the 2nd pump is defective too so that I can also return it & spend my money with a reputable brand, & it won't surprise me at all if it is. Have a nice day.

WOW, Sorry you feel this way, you must be New to the Performance Aftermarket Industry and are fully not aware of how things are in this World…

"Performance Aftermarket Industry" ?? Yeah I guess in hindsight it would be naive of me to expect you to have products that worked wouldn't it. Thanks for the education. But there's one consolation I have, & that's the more people I make aware of your attitude the more I will smile. Enjoy the rest of your day, I will, the numbers are increasing as we speak.

Glad to be of Tech Support Help for You, You do not have to Install the New # 8851 from (Redacted) if you truly feel this way, “Made in USA” products, sometimes Manufacturing even have hiccups, Have a Great Day ahead….

The replacement pump arrived today, with the exact same problem but worse. Awesome Company.

Nice Artwork you Created…

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
For the record, the second pump. Worse than the first, threaded hole doesn't even look centered compared to the first pump either, pretty strange for something claimed to be cnc machined. I still can't believe this, it takes 15 seconds to lift it up & check it. Pretty obvious to me, THEY KNEW.

Automotive design Carbon Rim Steering part Automotive tire

Grey Sleeve Wood Metal Pattern

1 - 20 of 32 Posts