Impalas.net banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Yeah I could take that chance and roll the dice and make it my problem & void the warranty which is probably not even worth the value of the toilet paper it's written on anyway, but i'm old school too and I don't reward incompetence, so i'm not going to put a single cent of my money into this company's pockets EVER.

They've also copied Holley's 4150 carby, they even copied the model No & call it a 4150 as well, which everyone is raving about on the net because of the improvements made. Just cost themselves that sale too along with the intake I was going to get with it.

No point telling them, there's no one listening.

Just to be clear, if you don't know, this pump is supposed to be the best they make, US$368.95 on Summits website, AU$650 delivered from an Australian supplier because presumably there's been a price rise that hasn't flowed on yet, because they haven't needed to buy stock at the new price. If I'd bought it from Summit it would've cost AU$751.92 delivered and another AU$177.00 to return it to them.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Yeah there is, it says Made in USA, but when you look at the bottom of the box & read the fine print it says Printed in the USA, so for all I know they're just talking about the box, there's no information on the pump itself indicating where it's made. Either way it doesn't really matter who makes it, it should never have left any factory in this condition, it's not fit for sale, and when the issue came to light 3 years ago they should've been recalled & repaired at their expense not the customers, that's what makes a company reputable not this trash approach.

Bicycle part Font Rim Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part
Motor vehicle Rectangle Font Poster Advertising

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Sad to hear Edlebrock has fallen so low. I had one of those pumps back in the 90's on my '91 S-10 which had the 4.3L V-6, which was a SBC with two cylinders lopped off. The pump worked great. Lasted much longer than the stock pump. But that was a long time ago.

·
Registered
452 Posts
must have been made on a day of the week ending in -day

Edelbrock offers two levels of water pumps:
High Performance Water Pumps: designed for street high performance small and big-block engines. Fit various domestic engines.
Competition ‘Victor’ Water Pumps: fit small block Chevy, Ford and GM Ls Motors

20 Years of Experience & Made in USA
Edelbrock has been producing their line of aluminum waterpumps for over 20 years. As we all know, Edelbrock is best-known for their intake manifolds, which like a water pump, are designed to maximize flow. While an intake moves an air/fuel mixture, a performance water pump needs to maximize flow of your engine coolant.

Edelbrock is very proud to produce their water pumps in the USA. They control all aspects of manufacturing, even pouring the aluminum castings in their California foundry. See this video tour of their foundry:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just want to clear something up that i've said previously in this thread too.

I've intentionally not identified the Australian supplier, I was a bit disappointed in their aftersales service, once I identified the problem & advised them. For clarity they did actually dispatch the 2nd pump on the day of notification despite being extremely busy, but their system didn't reflect that & when I called them a couple of days later they told me it definitely wouldn't have left yet, and in fact told me he'd had a conversation the previous day with another customer who's order had been placed a week earlier & it too still hadn't left, hence my frustration.

I can now reveal that the company i've been dealing with is VPW Australia, i've just got off the phone with them about the 2nd defective pump & I must say they've definitely gone the extra mile to resolve the issue.

So a very big thank you to Joe & the staff at VPW Australia, I will definitely still be dealing with you in future.

And for those wondering, no an Edelbroke pump or part will not be in my car EVER.

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
116 Posts
This has been a disappointing thread to follow. While I do try to buy things made in the USA as an American I can say I often find QC issues with parts bought... USA is not a manufacturing powerhouse like it once was so it's very much dependent on the care taken by the individuals and the company's QC process.

This is too bad to hear, my dad's Camaro has a lot of Edelbrock parts and he's been very happy with them... I'm ready to start spending some money and this gives me pause.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Some products out there that used to have a great name, is not necessarily the case today.

Ask me about Troy-bilt.

I've always known them to be top notch and have had great luck with a couple of their products I bought years ago, but not the last recent two. The worst one was a new Generator. Not only did it quit working, their new customer service was horrible. I later learned that they sold out to this new outfit, which sure explained why.

• Haha
Reactions: BA.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
My intention here is not to discourage anyone from making their own choices, it's simply to warn of this particular product with this particular problem, but for me it's very easy to extrapolate their failure here to reflect on all of their products, and if we all allow this kind of failure to continue unabated & decide to overcome these kind of shortcomings with our own modifications to make a product work then basically, we all get what we deserve & I don't know about you but I think we all deserve far better than this.

If I could drive 20 minutes to exchange a defective product or examine it in a store before I drive home then this thread probably wouldn't even exist, i'm not vindictive. But there are many many people just like me that simply can't do that, and I and they expect no issues from what is supposed to be a premium brand and a premium product.

Sure it's just a water pump, but if that fails at the right time & in the right circumstances it can cause all sorts of linked expenses & inconveniences which Edelbroke or any other manufacturer will not pay for, so buyer beware.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts