1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.

Have a engine setup in my mind.
No idea how it will work irl.

In my 65 impala i have a 454 truck engine.

It has a dualplane intake
Long tube headers.

will a roller hydrualic cam with around 224/236 and 113 lobe be a good cam
cleaned peanut heads #360
Holley efi terminator ( will try use a 4l60/4l80 later controlled by holley)

was hoping to get a torque engine but still rev happy to 5-5300rpm.

·
Registered
153 Posts
why would you want peanut heads? Oval ports run better and are pretty Cheap, if your going full roller just buy aluminum oval or square port...

·
Premium Member
13,155 Posts
5,200 - 5,300 RPM is wide open with the peanut head. They are actually choking the engine at that point. As pointed out above, oval ports are slightly larger and are a better choice for a 454 (leave the rectangular port heads to motors displacing more than 500 cubic inches). The peanut port was designed to build torque at lower RPM as Chevy was trying to push the 454 truck engine as a very, very cheap alternative to the six cylinder diesel engine found in "Lamb Tough" trucks.

If your engine has a hydraulic roller it is probably a Gen V out of a 1991-'95 light truck rated for 230 HP and 380 ft lbs of torque. You can quickly determine this by looking at where the mechanical fuel pump should be. If it is a bare casting unmachined and no hole to mount a fuel pump it is a Gen V motor as they all had an electric fuel pump feeding a two barrel TBI - EFI.

If it has a boss machined for a mechanical fuel Pump it has a Gen VI motor produced from 1996-'01. It used a multi port EFI system wch made more power from the same static compression (290 hp at 4000 rpm and 410 lb⋅ft at 3200 rpm).

Both the Gen V and the Gen VI are truck engines (low RPM cam and Small port heads to to make truck engine pull a 10,000 pound trailer with a 5,500 to 7,800 pound truck. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is that the six quart oil pan and oil pump pick up will not fit in a car body. The oil pan will hit the front cross-member preventing it from getting low enough to clear the Tie Rod, or to bolt up.

Big Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts