Impalas.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 63 impalas 350 has older style rams horn exhaust manifolds with a hole in it I believe was for the draft tube originally. It’s not being used and I suspect part of the reason I reak like exhaust every time I drive it is because of it. Would there be any issues if I welded it shut? I wouldn’t think so but not sure.

thank you.

·
Premium Member
13,147 Posts
I believe that hole was to provide heat for a divorced choke: back in the days before an electric choke being part of the carb. If you have an electric choke (courtesy of a carb upgrade over time); then you don't need it and it can be plugged.

1963 was the first year of a PVC system and as such your road draft tube was removed and replaced with a rubber hose barb to provide vacuum to the oil/air separator canister that is under your intake manifold

Big Dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it has an edelbrock 1406 carb I added years ago with an electric choke. I’d like to add a Holley efi unit eventually though.
Thanks big Dave 👍🏽

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dcairns. I was a little confused on this as I talked to my Welder this morning to set up a time to do it. When I talked to him he said he didn’t think that hole connected with where the exhaust flows out of but I suspect that like you said It may have rusted open. The car usually leaves me wreaking like exhaust and acceleration isn’t the greatest so I’ll see if this helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I had those welded up & replaced the old cracked heat riser with the delete plate one(same but no valve)and new gaskets. I solved my poor acceleration problem where before I couldn’t get passed 64 mph and now 70 easily. but I still have a exhaust leak. Being I only did the passenger side I’ll be doing the driver side gaskets next. Hopefully that does the trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts