Impalas.net banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The guy I bought my 55 from has a couple dozen or so cars in his 'yard' that are his kid's, and he has 3 66's - a Caprice and 2 Impala convertibles that have been flooded at least twice that I know of. The one has a pretty decent grille and the other has a fender better than mine. I asked about them, but he asked if I wanted to buy the whole car. (flooded convertible - uh, no) His car, his business. I'll straighten out what I have.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
One side pretty much done, ready to spin it around again. :)

Here's something no one has seen since December of 1965, I stripped off the old fabric from the rear arm rests. Also welded a plate under where the ash tray WAS.

Oh, and I also got the Grand Am seats mounted. Good thing I'm not that tall, as the original seats must have set right on the floor boards.

Reactions: BA.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got one done. . . . Before:

After:

Getting there, a little at a time. :smile2:

Reactions: 62BillT and BA.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
new problem:

new cure:

This job isn't for the faint of heart. We successfully managed to cut out the windshield without breaking it. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess they didn't use non hardening sealer from the factory with a rubber hose across the bottom? And get it all over the inside trim??

Apparently this car did sit somewhere for awhile, at least long enough for the seat foam to end up in the heater duct. And to think, the guy I bought it from drove it to work the day I bought it.
More next week, I hope!!

Reactions: BA.

·
Super Moderator
3,371 Posts
Nice to see you keeping at it and tackling issues!

About those rear armrests, did you put some kind of foam or material down before laying on the new cover?
I am doing mine right now and looking to put something in there I think.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I did, but only because I eliminated the ash trays and didn't want the hole in the foam. I bought 1/2" foam padding at Joann Fabrics for like $20 for a piece 24" X 72". The spray adhesive I used didn't hold the cover, so I'm trying something else. If all else fails, silicone sealant should work - I used it to put the stainless trim on my 55 door panels.
Good luck, in the words of Red Green - "I'm pullin for ya, we're all in this together."

·
Super Moderator
3,371 Posts
Good call on JoAnne Fabric for the door panel filler material.. I went to Hobby Lobby first and it was a bit of a Fail.
My local JoAnne didn't have regular foam any thinner than 1" but they had different weights and thicknesses of 'batting' and this stuff seeemed just about perfect to my untrained hands and eyes. ("ultra" weight)

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good luck, in the words of Red Green - "I'm pullin for ya, we're all in this together."
Red said a few other things too!
"Remember, you're on your own. Don't push it."
"This is only temporary, unless it works."
"Be generous with the duct tape, you know; spare the duct tape, spoil the job."

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
And this piece is done.

Reactions: 62BillT

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Car is now at the father in law's place to be painted, almost done with the sanding and putty - paint coming soon. :wink2:

Reactions: 62BillT

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
If anybody is still following, thank you for your support and likes! I'm still plugging away, car is all painted now and back together and working on the wiring and finishing up the trim (that it didn't have when I got it) I also have to sort out the door glass, but I hope to have it back home in a couple weeks. I applied for Antique plates, so I plan on DRIVING it home instead of the rollback! Hope to have more pics in a couple days, keep watching and thanks again for your support.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Buffing is all done, just got the clips I need to put the rest of the trim on - I hope! (they look kinda big) The original holes were welded shut, so we drilled regular holes and now need different clips. Got my front and back glass back in last week, but the side windows are being a real pain, as is the wiring! (if you saw my other post) I have the rear interior parts mostly done here at home, and a headliner to put in once I get it home. So next spring I should have a sweet ride, from 10 feet away.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Finally home. Have some finishing up to do yet, but it is home! :D

·
Super Moderator
13,048 Posts
Congrats on getting your car out of paint jail; now you just have to get it registered ... TO VOTE!

Big Dave

21 - 37 of 37 Posts