The guy I bought my 55 from has a couple dozen or so cars in his 'yard' that are his kid's, and he has 3 66's - a Caprice and 2 Impala convertibles that have been flooded at least twice that I know of. The one has a pretty decent grille and the other has a fender better than mine. I asked about them, but he asked if I wanted to buy the whole car. (flooded convertible - uh, no) His car, his business. I'll straighten out what I have.
This job isn't for the faint of heart. We successfully managed to cut out the windshield without breaking it. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess they didn't use non hardening sealer from the factory with a rubber hose across the bottom? And get it all over the inside trim??
Apparently this car did sit somewhere for awhile, at least long enough for the seat foam to end up in the heater duct. And to think, the guy I bought it from drove it to work the day I bought it.
More next week, I hope!!
I did, but only because I eliminated the ash trays and didn't want the hole in the foam. I bought 1/2" foam padding at Joann Fabrics for like $20 for a piece 24" X 72". The spray adhesive I used didn't hold the cover, so I'm trying something else. If all else fails, silicone sealant should work - I used it to put the stainless trim on my 55 door panels.
Good luck, in the words of Red Green - "I'm pullin for ya, we're all in this together."
Good call on JoAnne Fabric for the door panel filler material.. I went to Hobby Lobby first and it was a bit of a Fail.
My local JoAnne didn't have regular foam any thinner than 1" but they had different weights and thicknesses of 'batting' and this stuff seeemed just about perfect to my untrained hands and eyes. ("ultra" weight)
Red said a few other things too!
"Remember, you're on your own. Don't push it."
"This is only temporary, unless it works."
"Be generous with the duct tape, you know; spare the duct tape, spoil the job."
If anybody is still following, thank you for your support and likes! I'm still plugging away, car is all painted now and back together and working on the wiring and finishing up the trim (that it didn't have when I got it) I also have to sort out the door glass, but I hope to have it back home in a couple weeks. I applied for Antique plates, so I plan on DRIVING it home instead of the rollback! Hope to have more pics in a couple days, keep watching and thanks again for your support.
Buffing is all done, just got the clips I need to put the rest of the trim on - I hope! (they look kinda big) The original holes were welded shut, so we drilled regular holes and now need different clips. Got my front and back glass back in last week, but the side windows are being a real pain, as is the wiring! (if you saw my other post) I have the rear interior parts mostly done here at home, and a headliner to put in once I get it home. So next spring I should have a sweet ride, from 10 feet away.