Impalas.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a picture of the interior of my 1965 Impala. Picture was taken some time around 1966. It has grown a 1966 T&T column and also an Oldsmobile squeeze rim (horn blow), T&T steering wheel. The 1966 T&T column was a direct bolt-in.

Note the location of the Sun Supertach. I first assembled the tach to the T&T column head. After two of the Supertachs failed, it was determined that if you pulled on the tilt column lever and let the steering wheel and column head bounce to the full up position, the tach would stop working. So the tach in the picture is now mounted in the left corner of the dash.

BTW, that is a multiplex unit under the dash. I made a special mounting plate so that the unit ended up back, under the dash panel and was not visible from outside the car.

Jim

·
Registered
191 Posts
Probably the mechanical shock of the tilt action was damaging the meter movement. I don't know if you were asking a question, but I gave an answer!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nice setup Jim!
Quick question, In that position, how did you run the tach wires? The install looks nice and clean, but I can't tell how you routed them...
Nick

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
So you have a Olds T&T column and wheel in your 65 Impala?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dadstoy, No, it is a one year only 1966 Chevrolet B-car T&T column in my 1965. The Oldsmobile steering wheel, Oldsmobile telescope lock, and horn mechanism all adapted easily to the Chevrolet T&T column.

Nicke, I don't really remember how I routed the wires from my SuperTach. I think that I might have drilled a hole above the tach; running the wires up between the dash pad and the instrument cluster. Then down and out to the sender on the fender panel.
Jim

·
Premium Member
13,149 Posts
All B-body parts interchange so if you want a T&T for your Impala any Cadillac, Buick, Olds, or Pontiac, which were all much more up scale than the entry level Chevrolet, it is a simple bolt in.

I installed a complete Buick Electra 225 interior into my stripped down taxi cab Impala replacing cheap with a comfy split bench seat and cut pile carpets. There wasn't a lot of demand for luxury car interiors when I bought mine so they were cheap if you could find them in good shape. The older the car, the less likely you are to find surplus parts (it is a supply and demand thing).

Big Dave

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think that you are correct about any B-car steering column fitting any other car division B-car. Even though the car bodies and suspensions were similar some of the basic differences were in the unique instrument clusters. Where and how the steering column passes through the dash depends upon the design of the cluster. So steering columns would have different length shrouds that extend from the steering column head to the point where the shroud meets the cluster.

Also the basic 1965-66 tilt and telescoping head components are identical between Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, and the one year only '66 Chevrolet T&T. Sometimes different locking shoes (with different locking slots) were used between car models. In some instances if the head were allowed to tilt all the way up the steering wheel might hit the shift lever or the dash pad. So some heads had 7 locking positions, others had only 6.

The steering wheel, telescope locking lever, and horn emblem parts would be unique for each car division.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I’m new here and I am restoring a 1966 2dr impala. I have a steering column problem that has stumped me. I REALY want a T&T column, I have found a1966 Buick Riviera T&T column and wondering if it will fit?? Has any one experienced this swap??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts