1968 Chevy Impala
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

Greetings all!

My name is Ed and I just purchased my first classic car. A 1968 Impala fastback. 350 4 bolt main, 4 speed Muncie trans. It's damn near mint, and I couldn't be more excited.

That being said, it's also my first dabble in performance upgrades. I'm a car guy, and very handy, but far from a mechanic. I've owned several newer muscle cars, but the work had already been done, so I didn't need to tweak much.

From what I read, the 350 4-bolt will put out around 330 hp. I'd like to get this close to 375-400 if possible. What would you all recommend?

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
That looks really really nice man, congrats!

You'll reach your power goals without hardly any trouble at all. Best you first get the block numbers off the back area of the drivers side, and the current head casting numbers under those valve covers. Validate what you have. There's certainly some guys here and a number of websites to decode the numbers.
After that it's the basic bolt-on's to get to 400hp in my opinion. Headers, intake manifold and a schmedium sized camshaft (with new lifters and proper springs - a cam kit) is all it should take.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Nice car. Love the 4-Speed part.

Welcome to the site.

Reactions: Slappy1633

·
Registered
1968 Chevy Impala
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks really really nice man, congrats!

You'll reach your power goals without hardly any trouble at all. Best you first get the block numbers off the back area of the drivers side, and the current head casting numbers under those valve covers. Validate what you have. There's certainly some guys here and a number of websites to decode the numbers.
After that it's the basic bolt-on's to get to 400hp in my opinion. Headers, intake manifold and a schmedium sized camshaft (with new lifters and proper springs - a cam kit) is all it should take.
Excellent advice, thank you! I pick her up tomorrow so then I'll really be able to get down to the nitty gritty.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It certainly looks original! Seats and all. How close to mint are we talking? how many miles? because if you do upgrade the engine internals, etc, you may want to take a look at the heads and make sure the valve seats are in good shape. did the seller give you a full service history of what's been done to the car and when?

·
Registered
1968 Chevy Impala
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It certainly looks original! Seats and all. How close to mint are we talking? how many miles? because if you do upgrade the engine internals, etc, you may want to take a look at the heads and make sure the valve seats are in good shape. did the seller give you a full service history of what's been done to the car and when?
Thanks for the tips...I'll check those things out. Seller says a fresh coat of paint is all this thing will need (but even that's not urgent). Seller has "$15k in receipts" for everything that's been done. So we'll see how much paperwork he actually provides. 51,000 miles.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks for the tips...I'll check those things out. Seller says a fresh coat of paint is all this thing will need (but even that's not urgent). Seller has "$15k in receipts" for everything that's been done. So we'll see how much paperwork he actually provides. 51,000 miles.
$15k in receipts? so somebody charged him a double labor rate for work? dollars make no difference, I'd want to see a list of the work done.

you're in PA, where's the car from? if from north of the Mason-Dixon line how did it escape the inevitable rust for the last 60 years? someone who only drove it during the summer?
if you have a small magnet take it with you for the suspect areas (the lower fenders, doors, rear wheelwells, and quarters). closely inspect the floor and trunk pans and frame(ask us how we know)
unless he's got other people beating down the door, the only thing I would do as a buyer is request a 24hr think about it period while you upload all the pics you took here for us to look at. you are taking pics with your smart phone camera? that's how I bought my el camino 8 years ago.

·
Registered
1968 Chevy Impala
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$15k in receipts? so somebody charged him a double labor rate for work? dollars make no difference, I'd want to see a list of the work done.

you're in PA, where's the car from? if from north of the Mason-Dixon line how did it escape the inevitable rust for the last 60 years? someone who only drove it during the summer?
if you have a small magnet take it with you for the suspect areas (the lower fenders, doors, rear wheelwells, and quarters). closely inspect the floor and trunk pans and frame(ask us how we know)
unless he's got other people beating down the door, the only thing I would do as a buyer is request a 24hr think about it period while you upload all the pics you took here for us to look at. you are taking pics with your smart phone camera? that's how I bought my el camino 8 years ago.
Bringing it home today, but looked at it yesterday. Aside from a few tiny fading paint spots, it's absolutely stunning inside and out. He has a full record of all the recent work done, as well as all of the original paperwork and records from the '60's. Seriously, there's a whole file. Can upload some pix once I have it home.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Headers, intake, and a cam will get you close. The most power gains will come from better heads.
However, improvements on the top end could expose weaknesses in the bottom end, like tired rings. It's a slippery slope.
Are you sure you don't want to weld the hood shut and just enjoy what you got?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts