Impalas.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 impala frame with a rusted mount hole towards the front.
i believe the hole should be 1 3/8 and its now 1 5/8
i bought a repair kit, basically some heavy duty washers with the correct hole size.
iv'e seen people just welding them on top. I don't have welding skills to weld them in flush.

I think they are about 1/8 thick, do you guys think if i weld them on top that it would throw off the body alignment?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,079 Posts
Yes it would.

Check your local yellow pages for a welder. They often have in addition to their own welding repair shop, a gas or diesel powered welder on the back of a pick-up truck, or mounted on a trailer if it is a really large one, that can go to job sites to weld in the construction trade. One of them can come to you to weld that washer flush for you. It is much better to do it correctly the first time than have it throw off the rest of the restore.

Besides welding there will be some grinding to get the part to fit. If you get it to fit flush before he arrives it will save you money. I would use a carbide bur with a die grinder as well as a Dremel tool with sanding drums and flap wheels to prep the area before he welds it in place. I would also paint that area with weld through primer to allow what ever paint you use to protect the frame and allow your paint or epoxy coat to stick.

Big Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought my body guy was exaggerating about alignment issues.

Thank you for your input Dave.:thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts