Impalas.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 Impala. The fuel tank and sending unit with float are both new. The problem is the Gauge will go down to 1/4 tank only (and I have run out of gas). I pulled the sending unit and operated it manually and it will go way past full but only down to 1/4 (even when bending the stop out of the way and going past bottom). Any thoughts?

Thanks for your Help

·
Registered
'65 SS 396 4-Speed
14 Posts
A quick tip that worked for me is to (CAREFULLY!!) bend the float arm of the sending unit. My gauge would not read full, so I bent the arm down a few degrees, and it fixed the issue. In your case, you would bend your arm up. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well - I've spent some time with the problem - I pulled the sending unit out and manually moved the float and no matter what position I could not get it to go below 1/4, although would go to over full. I checked ohms at the sending unit and it ran 0 to 90 ohm . I also ordered a new sending unit and got the same ohms with the same reaction at the gauge. With an open circuit it pegged over full and with it grounded it read 1/4 tank. This leads me to believe the problem is most likely in the gauge, possibly someone forced the needle to a higher reading. I'll have to pull the dash apart to investigate that, but that will probably wait for winter (in the Midwest)

·
Super Moderator
3,590 Posts
dang - pulling the dash out for that sounds like a sucky job.
The gauge is just reading the Ohm resistance in relation to the float level though, right. So, did you happen to remove the wire from the gas gauge and attach a multi-meter there? This may be a 2 person job though, one to work the float and one to read the multi meter. This would be one way to see if your cars wiring is having an effect. You could also try ohm'ing out the wiring, but that's also a little tricky due to the length. You'd need to use extra wire on the multi-meter probe to reach both ends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts