Impalas.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Impala Custom Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm digging into my '69 project car and found a leak in the steel fuel line that runs from the pump to my Quadrajet. I got the line out and am now trying to figure out how I get a replacement in. The original line was somehow snaked up behind the alternator and came out near the top radiator hose and I'm not sure I'll be able to replicate this factory magic o_O

I'm wondering if anyone else has used "alternate routes" to get the line up to the carb. I'm planning to run steel and bend what I need but I'm not looking forward to trying to snake it through the way it was.

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
Buy the ni-cop line, it bends super easy. You'll have no problem duplicating it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
As Jay said, that stuff bends real nice. The other thing is the flaring. I don't know if you have a flaring tool, or experience using one but you need a GOOD quality flaring tool.

As far as the bending, I bought a cheap tubing bender off Amazon and bent my own line for my 66. It turned out real nice but I took a long time to make it. Patience is key.

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
If you don't have a flaring tool (and you should, it's fun), just buy a pre-flared section from your parts store that is too long, cut out a section, and add an in-line filter in the cut. After you bend it.

·
Registered
1969 Impala Custom Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I have a bender and a flare tool. Also got a piece of 6 foot flared line from the local AutoZone. I'm just wondering if I really needed to snake it through the original path or if I could run it another way. My gut says it was run that way for a reason (air flow, less heat, protection) so like @Darth says i guess I needs to find me some patience.

Didn't think about running the inline filter at the cut though. Thanks @jayoldschool

What kind of flare tools is everyone using? I got the Ares kit off Amazon and it's been working alright.

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
I use a manual tool at home, and it works fine. However, I have a really cool hydraulic flare tool at work, and it is sooooo easy to use and make perfect flares. Expensive, of course.

As for the factory routing... the explanation is probably as simple as "that fuel line gets installed on the production line before this part". I wouldn't stress about getting the routing perfect. So many people just use rubber for that line, you'll be far ahead sticking with steel in any routing!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I bought used Blue Point flaring tool. I think it's the cheaper line that Snap On sells. Everyone warned me not to buy a Harbor Freight style flaring tool! Yes, just take your time. It seems to me that mine took an hour plus to bend, very slow and deliberate but in the end it fits really nice and looks great, well worth the effort.

Maybe remove your alternator and keep test fitting it making sure it still will clear the alternator when it's done? Mine is a 66 so the alternator is on the other side, it's a non issue for the fuel line.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You can get the original shaped, pre-bent line from Classic Industries for under $20.

·
Registered
1969 Impala Custom Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Def trying to keep it as original as I can. Going to give the bend a shot this weekend and if I can't get it I got a prebent from Inline Tube scoped out. Let's see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
This was posted in the "Restoration Corner" which means the OP is intending on originality.
That seems fair...

Per some other comments, I have bent Nicopp lines to reproduce the OE bends for the rear brake lines using both the bending pliers and a traditional radius bending tool, plus the end flaring. Nicopp is extremely easy to work with.
3/16" Brake Line Pipe Bender Pliers
bend radius tool

·
Registered
1969 Impala Custom Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been a while and wanted to update on where I'm at with things.

@brickwhite thanks for the Inline Tube tip. I actually went to them and got a line about a week ago that was supposed to fit a 350 / 4bbl. Got it here and the fit was off. The bends looked to be in the right spot but it was maybe a half inch too long.

Thought about cutting, bending, etc to get it to fit but contacted their tech support before I did. Turns out the line that better matched my factory line bend wise was labeled on their site as being for a 350/2bbl. They're sending me this new line which should be here next week. Can't say enough about their support team. Really helpful and spent time troubleshooting after I sent some pics.

I tried to upload pics of everything to this post but it's not working well on my phone. I'll try to go on later from my laptop anr upload some.

I don't have to return the old line so if anyone is interested and wants some pics let me know. My gut tells me the one I got is actually for a 350/2bbl and the new one their sending is for the 4 and they're just mislabeled on their site, but who knows. I probably should have looked at both and the pictures more carefully.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts