Impalas.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a 283 v8 in a 63 pillerless here in Australia. Temp gauge sits between halfway and hot. Car runs fine but once it get warm it runs rough to the point it stalls and the only time it does it. I have chnged leads and spark plugs seem fine. Anyone have any ideas on what to check next? As for the running hot i have orders a thermostat

·
Registered
954 Posts
Always check the simple things first. If nothing seems wrong under the hood when it gets hot, change the thermostat. If you are in a warm climate, you can just take it out and run without one for now till your new one arrives.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, yeah it is coming into the warmer weather here, thats true i will try that and see how the temperature goes.
Always check the simple things first. If nothing seems wrong under the hood when it gets hot, change the thermostat. If you are in a warm climate, you can just take it out and run without one for now till your new one arrives.

·
Super Moderator
13,041 Posts
Welcome to the Team Harley!

Running rough once it reaches the operating tenp could indicate a cracked block or head allowing coolant into the motor once it heats up. Look for white smoke and a dropping coolant level in the radiator.

Another problem could be vapor lock as the gas line is being heated by an exhaust pipe or being too close to the exhaust manifold. This generally occurs before the fuel pump under the suction of the pump, and prevents any gas from making it to the carburetor's fuel bowl.

Big Dave

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi, i have a 283 v8 in a 63 pillerless here in Australia. Temp gauge sits between halfway and hot. Car runs fine but once it get warm it runs rough to the point it stalls and the only time it does it. I have chnged leads and spark plugs seem fine. Anyone have any ideas on what to check next? As for the running hot i have orders a thermostat
Three things that would be on the top of my list to check:

Timing. Advancing the timing a little (to 8-10 degrees BTDC initial) helps reduce temperatures. Also, make sure vacuum advance is connected and working properly (adding approx 10 degrees to the 'initial'). You may 'kill' both your 'beasts' with proper timing.

Choke. Make sure choke is not sticking closed.

Coolant level.

Some general inspection/maintenance may help. Air filter? Fuel filter? V belts? Hoses?

Just some ideas.

Pete

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey mate thanks!! No coolant is being lost thankfully,

Running rough once it reaches the operating tenp could indicate a cracked block or head allowing coolant into the motor once it heats up. Look for white smoke and a dropping coolant level in the radiator. Yes i was thinking vapor lock also but didnt think about it happening near the fuel pump so i will look at that and now that you mention it the puel filter is actually mounted in a strange spot in front of the motor just behing the fan belt so maybe it is getting hot there?

Another problem could be vapor lock as the gas line is being heated by an exhaust pipe or being too close to the exhaust manifold. This generally occurs before the fuel pump under the suction of the pump, and prevents any gas from making it to the carburetor's fuel bowl.

Big Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For some reason my whole reply didnt show! How annoying!! Anyways, basically after you mentioning vapor lock i have realised the fuel filter is in a strange spot right infront of the motor behind the fan belt

Running rough once it reaches the operating tenp could indicate a cracked block or head allowing coolant into the motor once it heats up. Look for white smoke and a dropping coolant level in the radiator.

Big Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks mate will look into those today
Three things that would be on the top of my list to check:

Timing. Advancing the timing a little (to 8-10 degrees BTDC initial) helps reduce temperatures. Also, make sure vacuum advance is connected and working properly (adding approx 10 degrees to the 'initial'). You may 'kill' both your 'beasts' with proper timing.

Choke. Make sure choke is not sticking closed.

Coolant level.

Some general inspection/maintenance may help. Air filter? Fuel filter? V belts? Hoses?

Just some ideas.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
I'll second the vote on making attempts to alleviate possible vapor lock. Ensure line is not laying on block or touching heater hoses, etc.

But, that said, my first suspicion was on the Coil. When coils start to fail, it gets noticably worse as they get hot. Then they provide a weak spark when overheated.

So, maybe you can swap yours with a buddies, or when it is warm, pull out a plug and lay it against a ground and have someone crank the engine in Park/Neutral. It should obviously be nice and strong. You could opt to compare that against a cold engine spark check.

·
Super Moderator
13,041 Posts
Good call on the coil. They fail so seldom that I forgot that possibility. But you are correct classic symptom of a bad coil.

Big Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The coul has been relaced recently, the fuel filter is actually really close to exhaust manifold so perhaps that is the issue?

At the moment its cranking over and not starting so i pulled the ignition barrel out and the wires are a total mess

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey mate its a ryco one not plastic but its mounted 3 inches from the engine block so could be getting hot
For some reason my whole reply didnt show! How annoying!! Anyways, basically after you mentioning vapor lock i have realised the fuel filter is in a strange spot right infront of the motor behind the fan belt

what type of fuel filter, Harley? one of those cheap plastic semi-clear ones? got a pic?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The coul has been relaced recently, the fuel filter is actually really close to exhaust manifold so perhaps that is the issue?

At the moment its cranking over and not starting so i pulled the ignition barrel out and the wires are a total mess
coils have been known to be bad right out of the box, try a known good working coil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts