Impalas.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My car is a 62 Bel Air Wagon, SBC327, 700r4, 6-pass.

I recently added a GlobalWest tube sway bar (the big fat one), and put in new CPP upper and lower tubular A-arms. I also have the CPP 500 steering box and their centerlink setup.

It all seems to handle pretty well. I think I need to realign the car and I may also need a new tire as one of them is worn a bit uneven.

My question however, is that when the car is at rest, the sway bar actually touches the tie-rod adjusters on the centerlink. Is that right? Doesn't seem right.

Thanks -

Jon

·
Super Moderator
3,473 Posts
Interesting dilemma, and clearly not right but I'd guess that GW hollow-center swaybar is notably larger in diameter than stock. What would stock be, like 5/8"? The GW is probably a good 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" right?

Unfortunately I have a 66 and I think a different rear-steer setup, with the swaybar up front far away.

Got any pictures?

·
Premium Member
13,148 Posts
May have to space the bar off of the adjusters with steel shims as constant rubbing will destroy the softer metal.

Big Dave

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi All,

My car is a 62 Bel Air Wagon, SBC327, 700r4, 6-pass.

I recently added a GlobalWest tube sway bar (the big fat one), and put in new CPP upper and lower tubular A-arms. I also have the CPP 500 steering box and their centerlink setup.

It all seems to handle pretty well. I think I need to realign the car and I may also need a new tire as one of them is worn a bit uneven.

My question however, is that when the car is at rest, the sway bar actually touches the tie-rod adjusters on the centerlink. Is that right? Doesn't seem right.

Thanks -

Jon

You will need to align (NOT to the GM specs) the car because the steering box requires 3-4 degrees of + caster. I believe the CPP upper arms have something like +5 caster built in.

The GW Part # SB5864G sway bar? I choose that one because it mounted in 'front' of everything, was a simple 'U' shape w/o multiple 'bends' to weave amongst the steering/suspension parts. It interferes with NOTHING.

Regardless it should not be touching. It is installed wrong, or perhaps springs are sagging too much. Or something else is amiss.

Pete

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. Alignment is on the schedule.

I don't think shimming it will help, but maybe I need to pull it forward more?

Thanks for the tips - I'll keep at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts