Impalas.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I said headlight switch tach issue. LOL Over 20 years ago the owner tapped the ignition and seemingly tachometer into the headlight switch. The car will not start and the tach will not work unless you pull out the headlight switch halfway. Starting the car works great, but my tach clearly is not working correctly and jumps around like crazy. My tach is the ever popular Sun super tach II. A wiring expert I am not. Any ideas? Clean up the connections? New headlight switch? TY

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm assuming I just wire the ignition back up without the "headlight ignition switch mod"?

·
Super Moderator
3,371 Posts
Well the tach certainly sounds like it needs re-wired, probably the ignition too but what a pretty cool anti-theft mechanism!! I love that idea.

But like Dave was implying - when that stuff isn't well thought out and properly wired, you can overload wiring, overheat it, cause a fire for that dusty 54 year old insulation crap and other wiring up under the dash. Talk about getting ugly real quick.
It would be interesting to see how they wired through the headlight switch. I assume your parking lights still work as they should?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts