Impalas.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade the weak sealed beam headlights. In my Jeep CJ, I upgraded to Halogen bulbs in a newer model housing and used a harness that tied into the headlight connectors and has relays built in so that all of the voltage does not run through the switches.

Has anyone done something similar to their impalas? If so, what was used? For the headlights, I assume I could use the same housings as my Jeep since they are the same size. But what about the high beams? The Jeep has high and low in the same light. The impala has those for the outside but also has hi beam only in the center. Not sure what to do about those.

·
Premium Member
13,148 Posts
There are both Halogen (still uses a tungsten metal high resistance element) and LED lamps that use the same H3 seven inch reflector head light, that will bolt into your light bucket. You \can also add high intensity LED spots to the wind screen hinges, a high intensity light bar to the top of the wind screen and spotter lamps also LED under the front fenders so that you can go wheeling at night or light up a landing strip at your local air port.

I was just scanning in a 1998 Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-Road magazine and saw an add for the "new" Halogen lamps and they were bragging about how intense the light was. This was before LED's had made it into anything beside computers and night lights. A halogen bulb is still mostly a heater with nearly double the watts being turned into heat as there are lumens coming out of the bulb. That is why incandescent lights where banned from home lighting in favor of CFL lights that do a better job, but not as good as LED that convert 100% of the energy into light.

Big Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave. Glad to know they are available. I am interested in better output but not sure about the LEDs, although I do know they provide good light output.

And even on my CJ, I am not a fan of lightbars and such that I would never actually use as I don't wheel at night.

·
Premium Member
13,148 Posts
Another advantage of LED's is they are not prone to failure from vibrations the way incandescent lights are. The NHRA switched to LED lights in the Christmas tree as the Nitro fuel class cars are so loud that they where breaking the tungsten filaments in the incandescent lights they used to use.

This company has been advertising lighting since 1998 in 4x4 magazines. I have never bought them myself as I only drive off road in daylight and not doing any intentional rock climbing or mud bogging, but I have seen a lot of them installed on vehicles in the magazines so some one is buying them.

https://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lighting-J...-Driving-Lights.aspx?t_c=14&t_s=448&t_pt=4242

I used my 4x4 Suburban K20 to explore the Pacific northwest southern Canada and Alaska where there were no roads but there was at least a stream bed or a lumber trail to follow into the woods. Got a lot pictures of animals that way.

Big Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts