Impalas.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help me, heater is off and not working but i have the heat from the engine coming through the vent under the dash, can get very hot, does any one know how to close this vent or what the problem is? Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If your heater is non functioning you might put an inline shutoff valve under the hood to stop the flow of coolant through the heater core. The original heater control valve on my '62 corroded to the point of no return so I put a shutoff valve in its place. Should you decide you want heat, you can open the valve and have it back to normal. The best part is the valve is like $6 at the parts store.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
They did not use control valves in 64, rather various duct doors operated by the under dash levers. You will probably need to open up the heater box/ducting to see what is going on.

The cables that operate the doors often get corroded, giving them too much resistance to movement and the outer cover slips from it's clamps and moves instead, giving you the feeling you are moving the control, when in fact nothing is happening at the other end. Repro cables are available, don't bother trying to oil the old ones, does not work.... been there, done that:p.

My 64 has A/C, so if you don't have A/C it will be a bit simpler, but this is what it looks like down there:

Black "plastic" box is for routing the A/C, the somewhat gray box closer to the firewall is for the heater, both contain flaps for routing air, controlled by cables from the under dash controls

Both boxes removed, you can see where the heater core goes(removed in the photo) on the left side. The aluminum 'radiator' thing is the A/C Evaporator.

Same area after cleaning and slathering with paint to hopefully prevent rust in the future. The heater core would go in the center of the picture. The heater cores can be quite a pain to remove, you need to remove the fan duct from the engine side as well to get at everything. For some stupid reason the bolts for the heater core strap can only be accessed from the engine side :mad:

Also be careful with the frame of the control lever assembly, it is made of pot metal and is easy to break (yeah, another been there done that...:sad:). You can see the frame in the upper right here, with the (new) cables installed

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts