Impalas.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! My ‘65 Impala is a non a/c car. I can only get barely warm heat from my heater. Is there a heater control valve somewhere? Certainly not in the engine bay and dont see one under the dash... arrrrgh. BTW, both in/out hoses get hot (fairly).

Help and thanks!!
Dave

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
How clean has your coolant been since the last time the heater core was changed? The heater core can get clogged with rust and not flow enough coolant to heat up the core and thus the interior of the car.
If you don't know, it is not that hard to disconnect the hoses on the core and flush it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense and I will do the flush!
What can I flush it with? A solvent?
Also, is there a heater control valve on these cars?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You can find radiator flush stuff at the auto parts store, but just hooking up the garden hose to one side and forcing some water through can get the worst out. Be careful as the heater core may not handle full pressure from your garden hose. You also want to be ready to collect what comes out the other end, as it may be a rusty messy all over your engine bay. A bit of heater hose hanging down under the car to a bucket seems like a good idea.
It is also possible the core may be too messed up to fix and you will need to put in a new one.

I have a 64, no heater valves used then. I don't know 65's that well. But I think the heater control valves went away in the very early 60's. A good investment is a Shop Manual for your car. Tons of good info and pictures on how to do maintenance etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can find radiator flush stuff at the auto parts store, but just hooking up the garden hose to one side and forcing some water through can get the worst out. Be careful as the heater core may not handle full pressure from your garden hose. You also want to be ready to collect what comes out the other end, as it may be a rusty messy all over your engine bay. A bit of heater hose hanging down under the car to a bucket seems like a good idea.
It is also possible the core may be too messed up to fix and you will need to put in a new one.

I have a 64, no heater valves used then. I don't know 65's that well. But I think the heater control valves went away in the very early 60's. A good investment is a Shop Manual for your car. Tons of good info and pictures on how to do maintenance etc.
Hey, thanks. I’m thinking there is no valve in mine either. If there is it’s inside the whole heater system, which I don’t want to mess with!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just a heads up, it's not unusual to flush the heater core real well on an old car like this only to find the core develops a leak shortly after...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a heads up, it's not unusual to flush the heater core real well on an old car like this only to find the core develops a leak shortly after...
Again, all good points. I’m going to have to clean this beast somehow and if any have safe ways to treat the core, please let me know. Vinegar, molasses (wtf), etc. No idea what to use. Sometthing I guess I’ll pour in and let sit awhile?
Lastly, which is the in-flow hose to the core? The one off the water pump or off the intake manifold?
Dave

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a '63 which does not have a heater control valve. On those types of system the air flowing thru the core gets 'hot' from the heat transfer from the coolant. IF that heated air does not make its way into the passenger compartment (flow controlled by 'flappers' under the dash), there is no 'heat'.

My point, if you have not already verified the function of the heater control cables, air vents, and flappers, it might be a something to add to your check list.

Both hoses getting 'hot' would lead me to believe the coolant is flowing thru the core.

Historically, from memory, '62 was the last year with the control valve. I would not bet on that.

Pete

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you're not replacing the heater core be careful what kind of force you use to remove the heater hoses.Too much twisting or force removing stuck heater hoses has ruined many a heater core over the years,so be careful how you remove those hoses on the heater core's ends.
The heater core gets coolant from the W/P and the return is the intake.From my memory,most Chevy's used a flow valve only on the A/C equipped cars and cars without AC didn't use a heater control valve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts