Impalas.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Impala SS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am missing this part that is attached to the a/c compressor. I thought it might be the receiver/dryer but i don't think that is it because I believe the dryer is mounted behind the front grille next to the condenser, if I am correct. The assembly manual lists it as a fitting/muffler, which I have never heard of. I need to find this part but what is another name for it? To make it easier to find?

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
It is indeed a muffler. Google "GM AC line muffler" and you'll find lots of discussion on it. From my quick search, they aren't repro'd, so either reuse, source used, or have a custom hose made to eliminate it.

·
Registered
1964 Impala SS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks man. I did a little research myself and found this on the internet. A company called Year One. It says it's for 62-63 but I don't see why it wouldn't work for 64.... Just depends on the compressor type. I might give them a call or just keep searching ebay for one, I find 90% of parts I'm looking for on ebay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Man, I love this Forum. Learn something new about old stuff every day. :)

Here is the skinny I found on “A/C Mufflers” - for those interested:

“An AC "muffler" acts as a pressure damper, and it probably also reduces the peak pressure in the compressor high-side manifold. Then again, its main purpose may be simply as a cavity resonator to reduce noise”

1 - 4 of 4 Posts