Impalas.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Impala SS convertible
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20210626_092440.jpg
Rebuilt 327. Slight overbore. New pistons. Camel hump heads rebuilt, new mild cam (.432 intake, .444 exhaust) lifters , valves, springs etc. Bout 3500 mi. on entire build. Ran great. Recently it began to run rough & developed a ticking noise on the driver's side. I pulled the valve cover & found a problem. Rocker arms for cylinder #3. One is loose, the other came off the pushrod & that pushrod is slightly bent. What could have caused or is causing this?

·
Super Moderator
1,607 Posts
Are those self-aligning rockers? Cause I don't see guide plates on there. The nut for #3 intake is backed off, maybe the lock wasn't snug?

·
Registered
68 Impala SS convertible
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are those self-aligning rockers? Cause I don't see guide plates on there. The nut for #3 intake is backed off, maybe the lock wasn't snug?
It was snugged up but worked itself loose. I'm gonna tighten things up. More concerning is the ticking I'm hearing.

·
Super Moderator
1,607 Posts
Show me a pic of the tip of the rocker, straight on. If they are not SA, you MUST run guide plates (and would explain your problems). See the little ears next to the roller on the SA rockers?

·
Registered
68 Impala SS convertible
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Show me a pic of the tip of the rocker, straight on. If they are not SA, you MUST run guide plates (and would explain your problems). See the little ears next to the roller on the SA rockers?

Ok. I see the difference. I snap a pic & post. Thx!

·
Registered
68 Impala SS convertible
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Super Moderator
1,607 Posts
Those are non self-aligning, and must be used with guideplates. The tech that installed them didn't know what he was doing, or didn't care. Unfortunately, you need some different parts. SA rockers, or guideplates. I'd suggest full rollers instead of roller tip only.

·
Registered
68 Impala SS convertible
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those are non self-aligning, and must be used with guideplates. The tech that installed them didn't know what he was doing, or didn't care. Unfortunately, you need some different parts. SA rockers, or guideplates. I'd suggest full rollers instead of roller tip only.
Good to know. Thx again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts